Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 10:21:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Wednesdays Sun 28/10/09 ~ 1500ut

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wednesdays Sun 28/10/09 ~ 1500ut  (Read 297 times)
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2009, 11:06:08 am »

Hi folks!
Had to get myself in trouble a bit with these yesterday to get them - was supposed to be going out shopping with the mrs but as we left the house to get in the car noticed a big blue patch coming in the sky, a burbled excuse and I nipped back inside to check the cloud cover satellite to find a window approaching!  :jump:  

Well I had to make my excuses, which at first she wasn't happy with, but soon saw the positive side and decided her shopping was probably better without me (too true!  :p) - anyway, got me the shots below...

I'm happy with the outcome given the very low altitude of the sun, it was skirting the trees and rooftops - then one of my neighbours lit a autumnanal bonfire which belched out smoke everywhere.  Still, a solar stormtrooper has to persevere, and persevere I did...

Here's Ha near full disk and proms - SM40 f10 DMK31

Had a go at the spot / Ar close up...  Not sure the rules for how barlow stacking translates into a final maginification factor, but this was taken with SM40 a 3x and 1.6x barlow stacked - I reckon it translates somewhere f45-50 ish (?) - again DMK31

Then it was time to have a go at the CaK.  This was taken with the CaK PST @ f10 DMK31.  Few dust bunnies but hey ho!

Thought I'd see what happended when I zoomed in a bit more...  This one CaK PST @ f30 (3x barlow).  Was quite pleased the image was still holding up as the gain was cranked up on the camera to still keep the 30fps...

I then tried the CaK PST with the 3x and 1.6x barlow, but this is pushing things too far - maybe in the summer with a higher altitude sun, but not this time of year!

I was hoping today was going to be sunny before the AR rounds the limb, but, guess what, it's cloudy again!  Anyways, hope you like them - comments, tips and feedback always appreciated!

Best wishes, Mark  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:25:13 am by markt » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 02:03:21 pm »

Thanks for posting - no joy here with the Sun since last Friday!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 02:49:30 pm »

Excellent Mark!!!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 04:53:29 pm »

Great images as usual Mark! Not knowing all the technical verbage, they're just great to look at and knowing it's the surface of the sun!
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 05:14:17 pm »

Good work Mark, excellent results
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 09:53:29 am »

Thanks for all the kind words guys!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum