Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 03:03:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Aperture Question

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aperture Question  (Read 392 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2009, 10:33:38 pm »

Here's the Cornfield photo.re. pheasant discussion.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 10:42:02 pm »

What were the settings, focal length and distance from the corn John ? It doesn't look like it's much outside the DOF... also do you have and use the DOF Preview button ?
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:37:34 pm »

It doesn't look like it's much outside the DOF
But it's probably blowing about in the wind, which, judging by the slant on the precipitation falling from the cloud, is considerable.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 11:42:41 pm »

Lovely image John!. Looks like a good example of a 'rain foot' there indicating wind shear effects. Must have been decent low level wind flow to cause that.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 07:18:00 am »

Looks a good shot to me!  The focus of the corn adds to the atmosphere of the picky in my opinion Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 08:07:40 pm »

Thanks for  the input. I'd have to get the CD back-up uploaded because something went wrong with originals in Lightroom - there's no exif data ,  It was my first big upload  I've tried the Dof button,John and found it difficult to see any difference,my neighbour and I had a go at it one day and  didn't find it very helpful but maybe we weren't doing it properly.I think the point raised about the wind is more like the answer and I hadn't thought of that - I remember looking at that corn when the data was available and I'm sure I was on f6.3. which would give that  out of focus image if there was  even just a light breeze All photos were taken using the tripod so camera shake involved  and  since Martin and Paul are of one mind on this ie. -there has to have been a strong low level wind, there often was with these storms,  I think that's  most likely the answer.  It's good you both brought that up because it's something I'll be aware of for next year..Well Mark thinks it enhances the photo..I'm not so sure, Mark ,I find it distracting really.

John..I'll get the CD out and let you know what the exif data was.
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 11:47:18 pm »

Don't worry about the CD John... If the DOF Preview button is having no apparent effect then the lens is pretty much wide open. It's much more obvious when you at f8 or so... The viewfinder will darken and the DOF expand as the lens stops down. The aperture wouldn't affect the blur with a slight wind, in fact, you've less chance of motion blur with the lens wide open as the shutter speed will be higher... whether high enough... that's another question of course.
Report Spam   Logged

John

*** My Astro Blog ***
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 02:23:50 pm »

Ok,John, I'll leave it then. 

Re. distance I was right in front of the corn- 2 paces and I'd crouched down too. My neighbour and I did try dof stopped down and I think we had a job detecting any difference  until we got right down to f18 or 22. I think we should try again because the photo mags do say it's an invaluable tool. He has the 40D,the  5D mark 11  and good lenses and we spend time together looking at problems and this dof was one of them.
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 12:38:19 am »

That's a tough one John... getting both the corn and the clouds in the DOF when you're that close to the corn... phew... I don't know if you have anything marked on your lenses, but I think you'd need to use the Hyperfocal distance and probably a very narrow aperture to pull that off. I tnd to find that I need to be at f8 or 9 to get any noticeable effect from the DOF Preview... My reach for the sky shot I could tell at f8 that I was going to get the effect I wanted, and the view darkened ever so slightly.
Report Spam   Logged

John

*** My Astro Blog ***
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 08:15:56 pm »

It's given me something to think about, John.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum