Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 10:18:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Kestrel

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kestrel  (Read 366 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:25:15 pm »

Nearly didn't post this. I got it today and  I was kneeling in long grass and it's handheld. The lens weighs 3.1 lbs. 100-400 at 400mm. I'm not too happy with it as it's not as sharp as it should be. I can try again and take a tripod next time. I'll find out now whether I need a wimberly. It was taken at 5.43. pm. This lens really likes a lot of light. The noise is starting to creep in.

f5.6 1/1250 ISO 640 Partial Metering.( for the much lighter  background) and single AF point.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:35:03 pm »

Very nice John - shots on the wing are very hard to get perfect, especially that late on these dark evenings. Still a keeper though.
Good luck with the tripod, I'll stick to handheld. I'm thinking my next investment will be a bushhawk shoulder mount. I used to do a lot of rifle shooting and guess I would find the bushhawk a natural extension.
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:18:56 pm »

Well done John.. that's a very good shot given the conditions. I like it a lot.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 12:01:05 am »

Very nice shot John.  I've tried my first " in motion" bird images that I'll post later for some c&c. I can really appreciate the talent and dedication it takes to make these images happen! Good job.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 07:20:35 am »

Very nice! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 09:01:46 am »

Oh-Maybe it's not that poor then  after all  Smiley Your comments have cheered me up  ,thanks. If anyone can give advice to better any of my photos (this one included) I'd always welcome that.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 07:51:47 pm »

Your shutter speed (1/1250) looks good, ISO of 640 is good for the light available as the exposure looks very good also. The only other thing here which would lessen the sharpness then might be the F5.6 - the lens is fully open. You would certainly move to a sweeter spot on the lens at around F8. This would mean though that your shutter speed would drop, but by taking a burst of as many shots as you can one or two will be spot on. I'm afraid thats all I can offer from my very limited experience.
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 03:14:06 pm »

What a catch John!, also like the way the Kestrel is off-centre in the composition. I really like this image alot.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 07:40:39 pm »

Thanks,Martin. I need to get back and try again. It could have been a far better image . There's a pair that live in that territory by the golf course. Today I went up there again  (700ft.) only to find a golf competition in full swing (no pun intended lol).It was worse,I rounded a copse of trees ,heard a shout and a golf ball travelling at whatever speed  golf balls travel at wizzed infront of me about 15 metres away.  I've just googled it- 180mph !!   Its never right, the golf course is on land owned by a local authority so there's walkers, dog-walkers, people who go to get a view from the summit and I hear there are people who go there to photograph kestrels too.  Lol. Not a good mix is it.

John..yes, I did like the 1/1250 sec. I did have it on the fastest frames per second (6.1)  but I'm thinking it's more to do with camera shake  although next time I'll choose a day with really good light.- I need to improve my handheld skills ,people get great shots with lenses like the f4 500mm   Canon  handheld and that weighs 8.2 lbs. mine weighs 3.1.Next time I'll try the tripod, these birds are used to people walking around  beneath them but sensibly draw the line at  flying golf balls  .
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum