Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 09:09:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Unknown Territory

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unknown Territory  (Read 434 times)
rjgjr
« on: October 22, 2009, 02:50:55 am »

Here are several of my first trys at moving objects, and some that did cooperate by sitting there like good birds. I have even more admiration for the nature photographers on this forum now that I've tried it myself.

The first four are California Brown Pelicans and the last is a young Pacific Gull

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 07:21:28 am »

Lovely shots! Wink
Report Spam   Logged

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 08:30:19 am »

Very nice Richard.... BIF's are really hard, but they look good to me. My fave is the 4 in a line, although I'm not sure the head's are quite sharp... bit if subject motion I think.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:50:11 am »

I wouldn't have guessed that was your first effort at BIF,Richard.  You've caught the flying pelicans very well. How fortunate you are to have such  wonderful creatures there to photograph. I wonder what caption John (jgs) would have used for those 4 pelicans   Grin 

What mode do you use ? Av - Tv or manual ? I used Av for the kestrel but prior to that I used manual but at least in Av the camera selects the right speed and if it's too low you can jiggle  around. Some say use Tv for BIF as that is the crucial setting, maybe the two John's can throw some light ( no pun intended lol) on this.
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 11:17:20 am »

John, Richard shot these in Manual, based on the EXIF data... It's tough on which mode to use... Manual may be best (if more tricky) as this allows you to set the exposure for the bird, whereas with the auto modes, Av and Tv, the camera will set the exposure to what it thinks is best, based on the metering mode you've chosen. I'm not sure, even with spot mode, unless you are close or the bird is big that the meter would get it right.

As for the caption... hmmm...

"I thought you said there were fish in this lake ?"
Report Spam   Logged

John

*** My Astro Blog ***
rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 04:56:25 pm »

Thanks for the comments so far. This is entirely new to me and I think practice is the best medicine. To the Johns, yes I was using manual only because that's what I'm use to. I'll try Av and Tv the next time I go down just to compare. I was also using AI Servo AF because the manual say it will continually focus on a moving subject (not entirely correct). Do you think using the sports mode would help any? I personally think these big pelicans move way too fast for my focusing at this time, it's me who has to anticipate and be at the right speed when these things swoop by. Even with the IS, this new lens will still take time to get use to the weight and feel in my opinion. BTW, these pelicans have 6-8 ft wingspans, kind of like a prehistoric bird coming at you. It doesn't help that these marina docks I'm standing on are only 3 feet wide and more than once I almost spun myself right into the drink! Hopefully I'll get a little better by next April when in Crescent City, CA about 50 miles south of us, they have the annual Canadian Snow Geese return. There's anywhere from 750,000-1,000,000 snow geese that make about a 2 week rest stop on their return to Canada, that should be a sight!! Park Rangers don't let the public get too close but it should still be great.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 06:34:06 pm »

Yes, definitely a suck and see situation and do what's best for you.  I used to think that there was one correct way to take pa photo in a particular circumstance but it's not so with wildlife that's for sure. I had no idea they were fast flyers. Well, you've got them well in manual,Richard,so at least when  or if you try Av or Tv you do know you have a mode that suits. I think sports mode is about 1/500sec and if they're fast I'd have thought that a faster shutter speed was needed.  It's great talking these things throughand moving forward as suggestions come along.

Lol..great caption that one, John. The one I had in mind was..'Ok. who's going in first ,I went first last time'  but I do like yours ,probably more like what one was saying too.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 09:17:18 pm »

If thats  a first try then keep them coming please.
Excellent shots - all of them.
What settings are you using for your focus points. I generally switch off all except the centre one, and try to put that one as close to the eye as possible. Of course thats no good for your crowd scene (4 pelis) but for closeups and birdflight shots it does mean that focus is exactly where its needed.
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:35:07 pm »

Very nice looking images Richard, and the first one is really superb!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 10:19:47 pm »

Richard, apparently, and I've not had an oppo to try this... you want to use AI Servo AF, and set all 9 AF points active. Pick up the target and initially focus with the centre AF point, and the camera is supposed to maintain focus then with any AF point as you track. I'm not sure sports mode is best... that being an auto mode you'll be locked into jpg, and auto ISO (min 400) and the risk of the camera deciding it needs the flash regardless of what you want.

Which mode to use will depend on the settings and lighting conditions... for my sports shots (not that I'm experienced) I generally use Tv mode so that I don't have to faff about with trying to continually adjust the aperture for changing light conditions... But... something I did pick up, if the lighting is constant... meter on your hand and set the exposure at about 1/3 or 2/3 under (I think)... or meter on some good green grass, set it in the middle. Then regardless of were you shoot (as long as it's not towards a bright light source), and as long as you're shooting RAW, you should get some good results. I tried this on one of my wanders around the nature reserve in bright sunshine, and I have to say it worked brilliantly, almost set and forget...

Sorry if you already know all this ....
Report Spam   Logged

John

*** My Astro Blog ***
rjgjr
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 06:54:00 am »

Thanks for all the good advice as I don't know much about any of this bird in flight stuff. John (jgs), I did try the AI Servo AF  on these photos because of the continual focusing, but I neglected to put the focusing back on 9 point. I usually use the center point only for my astro photos for lack of live view. Anyway, the 9 point + AI Servo should work a lot better than trying to keep that center point nailed on the bird as he's swooping around. Thanks again to everyone for they're comments. When I saw those four pelicans sitting there, first thing I thought of was them waiting for a train, bus or a fishing charter, or going way back, Larry, Moe Curley Joe and Shemp! I think they had the Three Stooges across the Pond.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 03:12:34 pm »

Brilliant Richard!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: