Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 12:43:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Tuesday's Sunset

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuesday's Sunset  (Read 424 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2009, 10:07:17 pm »

There's been a lot of sunset photos in forums these past weeks but whilst often similar they're never the same so I think  it's still worth posting them. I'm trying very hard to  equal or even  better Richard's sunset  silhouetted trees but I don't have the Pacific behind them.  Roll Eyes

How does no. 2 fair, Richard ?   Grin

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 10:58:55 pm »

Those are beauties John, I'm going for the first and last. What lens did you use for the first?, because that's the kind of shot I was hoping to get, maybe with a distant flock of Crows or Geese in the scene. I saw Geese pass over my home yesterday.

This could be a good week for nice sunset/sunrise scenes....
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:02:17 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 12:03:34 am »

I'm blushing right now John. I'll trade you trees and the Pacific for open Irish or British countryside anytime. Those are spectacular images to say the least. The tree still catches my eye in # 2 (only because I'm so use to them), but to have the background beyond really makes the image complete. # 4 reminds me of the view we had in Southern California before we moved. with the mountain that looks like a saddle, appropriately called Saddleback Mt. Great job!!
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 06:44:04 am »

Those colours look extra vibrant on my monitor with the lights off John. IMO every sunset has something new to offer due to the cloud formation & resultant colours, not forgetting the different locations either.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 08:25:51 am »

Stunning images John... Love the first one. The sky here was something else last night too, but ... At the right moment I was out and no camera... The red glow on the underside of the clouds ...
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 11:08:41 am »

Thanks very much -it's uplifting when your photo are appreciated ,I have to say. I didn't enhance the colours atall- what you see is what it was .I think most of us have experienced these wonderful sunsets we're getting these days.

Lol..oh, well maybe it's not so bad here after all ,Richard. I must post some photos I have  of a Cotswold village for you- there won't be anything like them in the US - they're built( by local order-law) of the local beige/creme  cotswold stone.. many are worth three quarters of a million dollars and these villages are on on the US tourists agenda. We should  post  scenes etc. for you.

Martin - the sinking sun photo was taken at 400mm with the 100-400mm lens. and no filters.I wondered if it would come out ok  but it did. I had  f22 100/sec. ISO 100 ,evaluative and pattern AF. Yes, it would make a great photo with geese flying by. I recall seeing photos from the far East of jet aircraft taking off flying across a setting sun and another featuring  a full moon. A great aim.

There's a field infront of me at this location and late afternoon /early evening there's a huge flock of partridge  there-it's a ploughed cornfield.  They're  very twitchy birds- no doubt with good cause as they are shot at for ..er..sport so, as soon as they detected movement by me trying to photograph them they were off but I've found a good location a 100 metres away and with no long grass and tree branches in the way. I was surprised at how colourful they are. It's the first time I've seen them .It looks like we'll get a nice day agin so I'll have another go at 5.00pm maybe a bit earlier and sit it out.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 04:21:33 pm »

John, many thanks for the info on the lens and settings. I have one question which I'm curious about to learn more. You used evaluative, I was wondering if there was a reason for that, or was it just the setting used at the time from default?. The reason I ask is that I use spot metering and wanted to know if this suitable for sunsets? Cheers.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 11:14:53 pm »

I've just checked the exif data, Martin and it was showing spot . My mistake. You're right, spot metering is recommended for sunsets and moon shots mine .
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 11:44:26 pm »

ah...thanks for the info John.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile