Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 04:22:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?  (Read 27896 times)
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2009, 06:03:51 pm »

An intersting update on Joe Bastardis blog this week regards the European winter:  He reckons the pressure pattern we have at the moment is typical of what we will be seeing when winter decides to 'bite' us in Europe...

This could be an interesting one, as today, for me it has been pouring down all day despite the fact the needle on my barometer is swung round all the way to the right as a result of the high pressure we are under...  Hmmm, gotta love British weather  Undecided

Anyway, i've quoted his text below...

WEDNESDAY
WOW!!!

While I expect November to be tranquil in Europe, what you see now is a "warmup" for winter as the overall winter pattern is one that favors the cold where it is going now not only in Europe, but the United States and the Far East also.

But check this out of the ECMWF site (a favorite of mine, and the model that I think is the most useful out there) http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/banner/page.html

It shows the extremity of this cold we are seeing now.

Again watch the winter... the forecast here has it cold across much of Europe, which is different from Hadley, though I have great respect for them. But what you see now, though backing down in November, may telegraph what is coming later!

Now this is no more a sign of an ice age as warm events are a sign of the fiery abyss that some seem to think it is on the way. It is a hint from Mother Nature, that she, not man, is in control no matter what our better angels or most devilish demons may tell us.

Ciao for now.

GET USED TO IT

FROM THE AUSTRIA TIMES

http://austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2009-10-12/17147/Early_snow_records_set_to_be_broken

While this is not the "start" of winter, keep in mind the winter idea issued for you here is calling for a harder-than-normal winter in much of Europe. Combine this with wetter than normal in the southern and eastern part of Europe, and I think this is the start of the banner year for the Alps. In fact, since it's already snowed there and I did have a previous "get used to it" post, this is just the second round.

There is still some pleasant fall weather left, and in fact I think a nice November is on the way for Europe, with above-normal temps across much of the continent. But the winter hound will be waiting and will come calling this year.... Make no mistake my ideas are colder than the Hadley Center... they were last winter also.

I do think the Hadley Center took too much grief for the summer in the northwest. While it was wet, they were right about it being warm. The data does not lie, when left untouched and here is London.

TOTALS FOR EGLL HIGHEST TEMPERATURE 88 TOTAL PRECIP 6.54 LOWEST TEMPERATURE 46 TOTAL SNOWFALL 0.0 AVERAGE TEMPERATURE 64.7 NORMAL PRECIP 6.30 DEPARTURE FROM NORM +3.0 % OF NORMAL PRECIP 104 HEATING DEGREE DAYS 164 NORMAL DEGREE DAYS 307

That is a nice deviation from normal. However, we are in disagreement this winter, though we weren't in disagreement on the summer.

Anyone for some yodeling in the Alps.. just bundle up.

Link to his blog here >>>  http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp?partner=accuweather
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum