Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 01:15:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?  (Read 27883 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: February 24, 2010, 01:55:55 pm »

That was the worst Winter forecast I've seen, nothing was on the ground here at all, and I was awake until 05.00. Then it turned to rain. Will never turst BBC NI and Met Office again after all that talk on tv about it.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #436 on: February 24, 2010, 04:56:37 pm »

Conor and I went up to the Glenshane this afternoon and got some OK snow scenes over the mountains. Cold too, hands were shivering in less than a min.
Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 24, 2010, 05:37:07 pm »

I agree with you Martin, it started to lie here at about 3.30 - 4 am but when i got up this morning at 9 there wasnt a pic of snow on the ground and it was back to rain! Sad
Report Spam   Logged
scott86

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 25, 2010, 07:21:47 am »

Some serious snow in lisburn! hasnt stopped since 6am and getting heavier!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: February 25, 2010, 03:54:12 pm »

That's a quite a shock Scott!!, I knew there could be a few snow showers there but nothing like that. Just goes to show unpredictable it is. Could be more on Fri/Sat.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: February 25, 2010, 03:58:35 pm »

Looks like I read this too late....

UKww Flash Weather Warning for Heavy snow in N Ireland, Highland, northern & eastern Scotland

UKww Watch for snow -S Scotland and heavy rain- S England

Issued Wednesday 25/02/2010 0700GMT

Areas affected by Warning - N Ireland, Central Highland, northern & eastern Scotland

Areas affected by Watch -  S Scotland, S England

Valid from: 0700GMT Thursday 23rd February - 2359GMT Thursday General evolution: 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 07z Warm and occluded fronts lie over Northern Scotland. A low pressure centre lies off the south east coast of England, whilst another low pressure centre lies close to N.Ireland.

Forecast:

WARNING An area of heavy snow is currently pushing through N.Ireland and will give widepread accumulation of 2-5cms at all levels (inc. Belfast), but with up to 10cms in places. Meanwhile, an area of moderate / heavy snow with sleet and rain around the coasts currently sitting of central and northern parts of Scotland  is likely to give accumulation inland of 2-5cms at low levels, but up to 10-20cms at higher levels - with possibly 25-40cms over the highest ground with drifting snow likely. The precipitation most likely to fall north of the central belt, across the Highlands, eastern and NW Scotland. Transport problems are likely, listen to local radio for updates.

UKww WATCH Some snow (4-6cm) may fall over higher ground in southern Scotland as well in the period.

UKww WATCH Relatively milder air in place across central and southern parts of the UK has the potential to produce some heavy rainfall with possibly up to 20-30mm of rain falling across southern counties with the risk of some heavy rain especially in showers which may be of hail too. Further heavier rain may develop again on Thursday / Friday. Driving conditions may be difficult, listen to local radio for updates.

UKww will monitor this Warning & watch and update it if necessary.

Issued by GL for UKww, 0700z 25/02/2010

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: February 25, 2010, 11:37:45 pm »

UKww Weather Warning for Heavy Snow

Issued Thursday 25/02/2010 2330GMT

Areas affected by Warning - Northern Ireland, northern England & Scotland

Valid from: 0000GMT Friday 26th February - 1200GMT Saturday 27th February

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General evolution:

At 18Z an occluded front lies across central Scotland. This front will slowly move south bringing heavy snow and colder air southwards.

Forecast:
Heavy snow in Scotland will continue overnight gradually moving south during the afternoon. Amounts up to 10-15cm are to be expected with more over higher ground adding to snow already lying. The heaviest snow is expected to occur in the Highlands.

In to the early afternoon the band of precipitation moves into Northern Ireland with colder air spreading down from the north. Precipitation may initially start as rain before turning to snow. Up to 10cm of snow may be expected over this region.

Later into Friday and Saturday the main risk areas are southern Scotland and northern England. As much as 20cm is forecast to fall in these areas. Some additonal snow is also expected over northern Ireland on Saturday.

UKww will monitor this Warning and update it if necessary.

Issued by PJK for UKww, 2330z 25/02/2010

The UKww Warnings Team use Net Weather Extra when compiling forecasts.
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: February 25, 2010, 11:55:47 pm »

After the 'epic' disappointment of tue night im just gonna wait til its actually snowing before I build up my hopes on this one. Saying that I wouldn't mind one last artic blast to end winter and then I hope spring comes in early March-am i asking for too much??  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: February 26, 2010, 03:42:48 am »

I'm with you Paul, won't believe it until I see it. One last decent snow event would be a nice way to end the Winter then get straight into Spring. No sign of it though on the models yet.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:23:51 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 26, 2010, 08:46:13 am »

Spanish Plain weather (again) .... Sad
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: February 26, 2010, 04:55:12 pm »

It's a very nasty day here, been raining/sleeting for hours and the roads are getting bad with lots of surface spray and reduced visibility. Still waiting on the snow to arrive after dark.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: February 26, 2010, 04:56:00 pm »

Weather warning issued by UKMO for the North of the country.

Flash warnings of severe or extreme weather
These are issued when the Met Office has 80% or greater confidence that severe weather is expected in the next few hours.

Warning type: Heavy Snow

Valid from 1200 Fri 26 to 2359 Fri 26

Local areas affected: Northern Ireland

Co Antrim
  Co Derry
  Co Down
  Co Tyrone

Outbreaks of rain and sleet will turn increasingly to snow, mainly above 150m, through this afternoon and evening and become persistent and heavy at times. Accumulations of 5 to 10cm are expected, with 20cm possible over higher ground.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to TrafficWatchNI.com (operational hours 07.00 to 21.00 Mon to Fri and 09:00 to17:00 on Saturdays) for further advice on road conditions.

Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 26, 2010, 05:22:27 pm »

It's actually just gone really clear for me just before sunset, managed to get a quick Ha visual on the sun which was nice.  I'm hoping for some sun early tomorrow.  Made me laugh at work today - the big topic was whether sundays low would bring snow or not.  For me in the west mids I think not, but could well be different for others...
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: February 26, 2010, 07:31:06 pm »

Complete non-event yet again here, some snow flakes falling within the rain but that's it. Too wet and mild at ground level for anything here, plus the front will move away soon. I'm astonished that the Met O had a severe weather warning out for this, the icing on the cake was the local TV forecast saying that a few cm's were possible on the mountain tops (that was at 19.00)...rediculous forecasting. That's two bad strikes from the Met O this week. Roll on Spring storms...

Mark, yip that looks like a nasty storm heading for Europe, someone said it could be life threatening. Heavy rain and gales could be on the cards for S. Britain, possibly sleet/snow furthern N at the cold boundary. That is definitely one to watch.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: February 26, 2010, 08:24:46 pm »

My Mum is reporting bad blizzards in Magherafelt, the car has 3" of snow on the roof and that's the result from rain melting it on the way to Maghera!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:26:41 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum