Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:49:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?  (Read 27816 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: January 24, 2010, 08:33:03 pm »

Splendid observing weather you have there Roman, it actually looks very pleasant, enjoy it  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 25, 2010, 07:43:04 am »

Fascinating series of reports Roman!  Looks like the cold is squeezing west again!  I watch with interest towards the end of the week when colder conditions are predicted for the UK - the detail will form up in the models nearer the time.  It's gonna be remembered as an interesting winter this year Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: January 25, 2010, 11:25:12 am »

Splendid observing weather you have there Roman, it actually looks very pleasant, enjoy it  Smiley
Unfortunately I don't have enough time to enjoy the starry skies, but this fact sounds wonderful: 62 hours without any clouds or fog (Jan.22 18h to Jan.25 08h EET). Now it is partly cloudy and -11C, last night was a bit warmer (-24C), but western Ukraine still gets -29...-32C.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: January 26, 2010, 07:21:14 pm »

Models are looking very interesting again for UK and Ireland later in the week, weekend, and again the following week with a new cold spell from the N. The potential is there for bitter air, severe frosts and snow. Winter is not over yet by a long shot  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: January 28, 2010, 11:29:38 pm »

Very heavy rainfall here at the min!
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: January 29, 2010, 12:11:59 am »

Some quite heavy bursts here too, as least the weather has got its act together-very boring over the past week, now for the cold northerly coming in behind this system  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: January 29, 2010, 05:56:13 pm »

Quite a lively day here with snow showers and hail the size of frozen peas. Quite a snow storm here after 17.00, heavy and blowing horizontal at high speed for a long time.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: January 29, 2010, 06:02:31 pm »

Severe weather warnings from Met Office for NI Fri-Sat...

An area of rain and hill snow across Northern Ireland at present will clear south this evening. As this clears south, skies will clear, allowing temperatures to fall, with widespread ice likely to form on any untreated roads and pavements. The public are advised to take extra care.

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: January 29, 2010, 07:59:59 pm »

More heavy snow showers here, John and Jonathan also reporting them to the S and SE of Lough Neagh
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: January 29, 2010, 08:02:29 pm »

Yep snowing here as I write this with a good dusting on the ground-seems to sticking too Grin
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 30, 2010, 07:55:50 am »

We had a 'flurry' just about 10 minutes before I left work yesterday, however you could see we were on the periphery of the guilty cloud.  I only live about 20 mins walk from work, a mile or so, but the closer to home I got the more and more snow on the ground there was, with a near covering back at mine.  When I went out for my usual friday evening trip to the local pub it was quickly apparent that the snow had partially melted on all the usual thaw surfaces but had then frozen solid under the clear perigee moon skies.   This included the roads too...  Under foot conditions were treacherous with lots of sheet ice.  I dare bet there were quite alot of accidents last night. 

Have woken up to another clear and frosty morning today, with the forecast looking cold and clear for the rest of the day.  Might well just see how much the sun is risingabove my local (city scape Sad )horizon - see if I can resume solar observing again...
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: January 30, 2010, 06:04:55 pm »

UKww Weather Watch – Snow and Ice

Valid from: 1630z Saturday 30th - 1800z Sunday 31st January 2010

Areas affected: N Scotland, N Ireland, Wales, W Central England, SW England.

General evolution: Low, ~980mb SW Norway at 00z Sunday, sinks south into the North Sea, filling slowly. Anticyclone over the Atlantic ensures a chilly NNW airflow affecting the UK, this carrying embedded showery troughs.

Forecast: Snow showers continue to affect the N half of Scotland with further accumulations expected, with drifting over exposed/high ground in a stiff Northerly to Northwesterly wind. Further south, more sleet and snow showers are expected to develop and run down the Irish Sea. These will affect N Ireland, Wales, W Central England (the Cheshire Gap effect coming into play) and SW England tonight and through tomorrow, easing later in the day. A few centimetres of snow are possible almost anywhere in the Watch area (sleet is possible, W N Ireland, coastal areas of mid/south Wales, lower ground SW England). However, the showery nature of the snow means that  some areas - most likely exposed ones inland from N facing coasts - are going to be more prone to snowfall; more sheltered places will be less prone to significant snow accumulation. But, at the same time, a moderate overnight frost (-1 down to -3) will develop and ice will be a potential hazard overnight into tomorrow, especially along untreated roads and where showers of whatever form have passed through. Drivers are advised to bear these issues in mind.

UKww will monitor this Watch and update it if necessary.

Issued by JSM for UKww, 1630z, 30/01/2010

Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 30, 2010, 06:21:34 pm »

Clear skies tonight, all bar maybe the odd shower coming down the cheshire gap for me - i'm evening refraining from drinking tonight so as to get a view of mars in  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 30, 2010, 10:31:52 pm »

Clear skies tonight, all bar maybe the odd shower coming down the cheshire gap for me - i'm evening refraining from drinking tonight so as to get a view of mars in  Roll Eyes

Grrrrr, growl, grrrr...

All winter you've probably noticed my enthusiasm for traditional winter weather...  Well tonight i've changed my view!

Went out with the mrs earlier for a curry - "what's up with you? you're not drinking tonight!" she says as we munch away.  "No, i'm out with the scope to look at Mars." I reply...  Well I get back home, lovely clear skies - get the scope out, polar align, blah blah - you know the routine.  In the back of my mind i'm concious there is a band of showers pushing down the cheshire gap - however pretty much anytime this has happended this season the showers have died out just before reaching me.  Not tonight!  All of a sudden I become aware I can feel snow on my face, it's belting it down here - in a matter of minutes the whole place is white over!  Then its the race - I have the lappy and the DMK out with me as I want to get some images, need to get them in quick!  In the mean time the scope and mount is covered by my waterproof blanket and i'm sat back insided twiddling my thumbs...

You watch, we'll have one of the biggest snowfalls of the season tonight, just while all my kit is outside!  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: January 30, 2010, 11:28:39 pm »

Lol Mark, that was a good read, your post sums up the great contrasting battles between the weather and astronomy, it's either one or the other isn't it, and they happen at the wrong time and in the wrong order. Hang in there, you might get a crisp clearance behind those showers. On the bright side, at least you got some snow, I would prefer that to rain.

Very fine snow here now, so fine it's barely visible.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum