Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:21:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?  (Read 27840 times)
Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 07, 2010, 11:41:18 pm »

another extremely cold night here down to -11c now
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: January 08, 2010, 12:11:13 am »

We could be in action for Mon and Tues though, will have to wait and see, looks like siginificant weather on the way for UK/Ireland one way or another.

John, I know what you mean, I feel sorry for that Donkey, it's been there day and night through this cold spell not to mention horses, I've seen them looking miserable in horrendous conditions at night and they are never brought in or even have a rug on. Very sad!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2010, 03:45:12 am »

Tonight is the coldest night I've ever experienced in my life!. In the Maghera countryside there are pools of air with various dips in temp below the mean in various places, some of them actually hurt your face and affect your lungs. I touched a gate with a gloved hand and after 2-3 sec's it was frozen to the metal. Don't know actual temp but it's quite incredible - amazing to experience that here!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 03:49:52 am by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 08, 2010, 08:16:18 am »

When it gets to about -20C you can actually hear your breath crackle as it freezes.

Amazingly the fog cleared here around 10pm, sky was mostly clear with 2-4/8 broken low cloud mostly in the North (over the sea). Very little wind. I was out all night observing & thanks to excellent clothing was actually slightly too warm ... Temp below -7C most of the night which is very unusual this close to the coast. Scope had 1-2mm of hoar frost away from the dew heater straps.
Report Spam   Logged
scott86

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 08, 2010, 11:56:51 am »

Thanks for the comments on the image folks, alot clearer here today, going to take a walk down the lagan toepath today to get a few images, this time with several more layers of clothing! It hit -10 here last night, and it doesnt feel much warmer than that even now, took a step outside earlier and every breath just penetrates deep into your chest!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: January 08, 2010, 12:57:16 pm »

I've just read on the  the forums that last night Ireland's temp dropped to just below - 20C!!!, average inland temp was between -11 and -12, Co. Carlow had - 16. The -20 came from far eastern areas of Ireland.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: January 08, 2010, 04:35:54 pm »

Out and about today, Moyola River is partially frozen over in places, the river Grillagh is completely frozen solid. Nasty day time temps but the scenes are spectacular with snow, ice, and freezing fog, there are icicyles hanging from the roadsigns and traffic lights. My hands were that cold I could barely open the car door due to a few hours of photography. Loving this severe cold weather!

Brian, I agree, the sky here last night was breathtaking, the perfect Winter scene, even Sirius seemed much brighter than usual in the crisp air, then the rising orange Moon was the icing on the already frozen cake.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:37:34 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: January 08, 2010, 05:31:48 pm »

last night Ireland's temp dropped to just below - 20C!!!, average inland temp was between -11 and -12
Wow, that must be pretty low for Ireland.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: January 08, 2010, 06:40:17 pm »

I was in Omagh town today and sections of strule River are froze over, people were just staring at it from the bridge and taking photographs-ive never seen this river freeze over before. I took a drive up to Gortin lakes after that and was greeted with some beautiful scenes, the lakes are completely frozen with a layer of snow.      Temperatures are rocketing down here again with no fog the thermometer could hit -12 or lower!!

Beautiful scenes everywhere with frost and ice right up to the top of the trees-I love this weather and I remember back in November hoping we would get some proper winter weather-well mother nature delivered big time Grin Grin         On the downside I have to say its brutal sore on the heating oil.

Will Post some photos later.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 08, 2010, 06:45:44 pm »

It's actually warmed up for me again last night and today.  1am this morning was recording -6c, this afternoon has got up to -2c.  It's -4c now.  Looking at the rainfall radar we get a light covering in a couple of hours.  Then, we look out to later in the weekend, seems to me everyones a bit short on the specifics and details of the event...   Huh
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: January 08, 2010, 07:53:02 pm »

I've checked the last night's temperatures in Europe, chilly areas are central Scandinavia (down to -43C) and Southern Ural (down to -37C). It seems to be just a matter of wind (baric gradient), whether the weather somewhere in mid-latitude Europe will be nearly melting (like now in Ukraine) or more like a 'true winter' (like you have there)  Grin

(...) sections of strule River are froze over, people were just staring at it from the bridge and taking photographs-ive never seen this river freeze over before.
Paul, it is always something to compare with. Here in Poltava, for example, Vorskla river (quite a big one) is frozen since mid-December (so I have forgot about it already). On the other hand, I have never seen in my life how it is to drive a car across the frozen river/lake, but I know in Russia it may be even a common job in winter, once I've seen on TV as heavy trucks (!) were driving across Baikal lake - that's impressive.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 08, 2010, 09:41:01 pm »

Temperature here is falling slowly tonight - is -3c now.  We've just had a dusting of snow aswell, pelletal stuff rather than flakes.  It's done a decent job of covering the slushy main roads. 

It's cold when they're driving trucks on the lakes like that Roman.  Sounds like the Russian version of Ice Road Truckers to me  Grin  I know when I go to Iceland next month they'll be playing polo and riding round on horses on the City Pond in Reykjavik.   Roll Eyes

Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 08, 2010, 10:19:47 pm »

Temperature in lisburn has just hit -9!!!!  Thick freezing fog taking hold aswell!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: January 08, 2010, 10:31:04 pm »

It feels like that here too Scott, that's early in the night for a temp like that, maybe records will be broken before the night is over. It's another bad one here, we have the freezing fog too.

Here's vid from today, Moyola River in it with some ice, the rest are various scenes...

Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: January 08, 2010, 11:10:24 pm »

Finally got some Sun optics while I had my camera! Extremely cold here the last week and a half, the low tonight is -28F !!!!! going to met up with Mike H and Chris tomorrow morning hoping for some cool river steam/fog ops. Here are some from yesterday...

http://tonightssky.org/images/010710b.jpg
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum