Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:26:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?  (Read 27841 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2010, 12:49:49 pm »

Thanks Jonathan, I would go up there but I don't think the car would make it, my Aunt who lives in the area, has only got her car out once over the entire Christmas period due to the ice, it's difficult enough to get out of the estate here. I'm sure the view would be awesome though.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2010, 02:51:44 pm »

Thought I would have seen some fresh snow here by today but its just not working out, think it was xmas day the last time a flake fell. Very penetrating frost last night, my little thermometer was showing -8 at 0200am!  Looking ahead it could be hit and miss for snow this week as well, come on I NEED more snow!! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2010, 04:17:17 pm »

my little thermometer was showing -8 at 0200am!
Interesting, there was a ground frost here last night but the min air temp was +0.2C. But already (4pm) below -2C, sky is clear, & not too humid, not a breath of wind ... I smell fog coming later Cry
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2010, 04:39:53 pm »

It was an ice day here, frozen all day long, the ponds in Magherafelt are frozen solid.

The models are showing snow over Ireland, N. Ireland for Mon/Tues period again Thurs, there will be lots of Wintry showers around this week so I will be shocked if we don't get snow, potential for at least one good fall I should think.

This is going to be a nasty night temp-wise!, again possibe - 10 in some rural areas. Brian could be rite about the freezing fog.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2010, 04:43:00 pm »

From Irish Weather Network...

The 06z Hi res is out and of interest to most is that the frontal system moving south during Monday afternoon into the overnight period is forecasted to be more snow than sleet. The air ahead of the front is still quite cold and with no huge increase in 850mb temps throughout.

Now with the air cold over a dry land, it is hard to pinpoint how far south this is going to get before it all dries out in the atmosphere. Places most likely on lower ground to see some lying snow is central NI, N Leinster and parts of E Connaught. Places along the N, NW and parts of the west coast will have a sleet/snow mix.

Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: January 03, 2010, 04:51:48 pm »

Thats a big variation there Brian I just wonder if my thermometer is accurate its only a cheap one, id love to invest in a proper weather station. Showing -3 air temp here at 16:45. Hope your right about that snow Martin
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2010, 07:12:17 pm »

All this talk of temperatures has promted me to put my el-cheapo maximum minimum thermometer within binocular view of my living room window.  I think I may have to keep my eye on the Maplins sale for a weather station...

Woke up this morning to the lightest of dustings of snow - someone with bad dandruff could have had more of an imapct...  It's been lovely blue skies all day and nightfall is just as clear.  I think i'll give it another several hours then will have a go at imagaing the moon and mars with my ETX90, see what captures I can grab...

Tomorrow is the first day back at work (school) for me  Embarrassed and I have the pleasure of a whole days teacher training on how to use Photoshop - the fact that I already use Photoshop and feel quite competent with it seems to have no bearing - you WILL do this training...  Oh well, so be it, i'll just use my own data (read mars and moon) to demonstrate my competency Wink

I'm hoping, reading the updates and looking at this weeks synoptic charts, that the front coming down late monday night / tuesday morning will be kind enough to deposit a dollop of snow over us in the west midlands, we seem to have escaped so far this winter.  Unless the forecast detail changes, for me, I think this is the best hope for snow.  I suspect later in the week wintry showers will be confined to coastal regions.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2010, 07:35:04 pm »

the fact that I already use Photoshop and feel quite competent with it seems to have no bearing - you WILL do this training...
Been there, done that. Not Photoshop training, I tend to use other tools.... At the Uni I wrote a major element of one of the computer safety courses, the blithering idiots in admin still wanted me to do the wretched course.

Temp here is typical of this coastal location with no wind & a frost, varying wildly between -2C and -5C, no chance whatsoever of the scope temperature stabilizing so the seeing is going to be badly compromised. Noticed when observing the Sun this afternoon, seeing was pants, then there was a breath of wind & the seeing sharpened & steadied up for 5-10 secs, then gradually deteriorated again.
Report Spam   Logged
scott86

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2010, 11:27:16 pm »

Was in Belfast and it was -1, gradually crept down as i left the city then just as i arrived back in lisburn the car read -7!!! The snow hasnt thawed one bit, even with the gritters making 2 passes down my street today!!!
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2010, 09:17:00 am »

A light dusting of snow here this morning falling onto frozen ground.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2010, 10:46:43 am »

Ugh, the weather read the meteor shower forecast, cloud cover set in  & showers developed - here they were rain / very wet sleet onto frozen ground - roads here are covered in 3-4 mm of a mix of verglas (smooth clear "black ice") & granular ice. Glad I don't have to drive today.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2010, 02:12:22 pm »

We had snow showers here last night which left a fine white dusting, should get more this evening and early Tues morning, there could very well be a severe ice event over the next 24 hrs!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2010, 02:24:06 pm »

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting Northern Ireland, parts of southwest Scotland, northwest England and North Wales on Tuesday.

Overnight rain, sleet and snow will clear southwards early Tuesday and as temperatures fall, widespread ice is likely to form on untreated roads and paths. Further heavy snowfall may then develop across Northern Ireland.

Issued at: 1152 Mon 4 Jan
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2010, 02:32:14 pm »

Here's one of the frozen ponds in Drumlamph woodland, Maghera. As you can see, one can stand on it, walking across feels just like concrete!

Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2010, 02:50:34 pm »

We had snow showers here last night
And we had snow from a clear sky today - that was fun!  Smiley Ok, the sky wasn't completely clear, but the Sun was shining, and thin clouds (Frst??) which have covered less than 60% of the sky seemed to be not able to produce any precipitation. Nevertheless, there was slight flurry in the afternoon.

P.S. -15C here at the moment, and it is just only 1 hour after sunset, I can't guess what temperature will be at sunrise.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:52:16 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum