Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 12:07:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?  (Read 27877 times)
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2009, 07:10:38 am »

Brrrrr!!!  You guys have certainly got it chilly!  I'm in the West Midlands and we've had no snow at all yet.  Temperatures are hovvering around freezing with a parky wind chill to factor in - but nowhere near like what you've got Roman and Tyler.  I'm hoping for me the best chances of some snow appear this weekend when the wind switches round to the north and pulls a few fronts down with it - the same snow as you'll likely get Martin, though, tbh, unless we get stuck under a 'snow streamer' I don't think there will be much chance of it!  My only glimmer of hope is the 'funneling' effect of the Cheshire gap - Welsh mountains to the west, Pennine highground to the east, gap in between - with north / north westerlys it can give us focussed bands of showers.  Trouble is these bands are very narrow at best, if you're under one you'll know it, if not you'll wonder what the fuss is about.  The view from my loft window faces west and it is often possible to see virgas in the distance when we have weather associated with the Cheshire gap... 

I break up from work (school) at lunch today, so snow or not i'm hoping to try and make use of the clear skies and get the scope out over the next couple of days / week - I fancy seeing if I can get me some nice pics.  Jupiter setting in the west, mars in the south east and the winter sky to behold...

If I do get any snow i'll post you some pics!

Mark Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2009, 01:02:32 pm »

SE Britain is getting plenty of snow now, my friend rang me from London airport and he can't get his flight home to NI due to the snow.

There might be snow showers in NI this afternoon/evening in the N and E.
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2009, 01:12:31 pm »

Quick look at the radar and it seems to be snowing lightly on the north coast around coleraine/Portrush!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2009, 01:52:27 pm »

I'm expecting it here anytime soon...Sunday is looking great for snow  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2009, 02:10:03 pm »

yesterday evening i had a dusting  but i got more overnight and i woke up to a lovely winter wonderland freezing cold even now its 0.5c
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2009, 03:16:51 pm »

It's snowing in Maghera now!
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2009, 05:15:35 pm »

A nice little dusting here in Omagh now.  Just watched BBC news 24 weather and they said it will be 'primarily rain' for Northern Ireland tomorrow  Sad   but yeah sunday looks good  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2009, 10:22:15 pm »

More snow from that band sliding south  on top of what i have already about an inch on grass and half an inch on roads nice start to this years season tomorow looks interesting will have to wait and see altough i have no doubts it will be cold enough fo the white stuff to fall  as the front pushed south across the south
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2009, 12:38:45 am »

UKww Weather Warning & Watch – Heavy Snowfall, Drifting.

Valid from: 0600z Saturday 19/12 to 0600z Monday 21/12  2009;

Areas affected: Warning: Northern and western Scotland, NW England, N Ireland, N Wales. Please see Forecast text for details. Watch – rest of the UK away from SW England.

General evolution: A very cold, Polar Continental airmass will affect many southern and eastern parts of the UK at the start of the forecast period. Further north and west, a slightly less cold Polar Maritime airmass will be moving into from the west. This is associated with weak warm advection ahead of a well defined cold front that will be moving southwards across Scotland by late Sat morning. This front marks the leading edge of a surge of Arctic air, originating over Greenland and points further north.

During Saturday afternoon/evening the cold front/cold occlusion will race SSE across the whole of the UK, clearing the south coast during the early hours of Sunday morning. Thereafter, a bitterly cold Arctic airmass (slowly becoming modified by the relatively mild SSTs to the north-west of the UK) will affect all areas. This will bring occasional snow showers to the south and east of the UK, but frequent and heavy snow and hail showers to northern and western areas (especially those in the Warning area). The snow showers will become increasingly confined to N Ireland, NW England and N and W Scotland by Sunday night.

Forecast:
A well defined cold front/cold occlusion will surge southwards across the forecast area during Saturday afternoon/evening. This will bring a relatively narrow band of heavy rain, sleet and snow to most places. Snow is most likely across eastern Scotland, NE England, the higher parts of NW England, and Cent and E parts of England to the south of the Pennines. Further west and north, there is a chance of rain for a time along the front (especially close to western coastal areas) before the very cold Arctic airmass undercuts the precipitation band. A low risk of freezing rain across the high ground in Wales and also across the Midlands and Cent S England if road surfaces are below 0C in the evening (the potential for this dangerous hazard will be monitored closely). Additionally, isolated lightning strikes may accompany the frontal passage.
2-4 cm of snow accumulation is likely in many parts of the forecast area in 2-3 hours as the cold front goes through. Lower accumulations are expected in west Wales and NW England and close to western coasts. Over the higher ground and in parts of eastern England, 3-7cm of snow is possible. Turning VERY ICY after the cold front has cleared.

On Sunday, occasional snow showers across the E Midlands and NE England may produce a further 1-2cm accumulation. The West Midlands, S Wales and E Scotland may have 1-4cm in slightly more frequent snow showers. Across the Warning area, snow/hail showers will be heavy and frequent until Monday morning. 5-10cm of snow may accumulate in many areas with up to 10-20cm over the high ground and where snow showers train echo. The snow may drift in fresh to strong NW’ly winds.

Issued by MCD for UKww, 0030Z 19/12/2009.

Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2009, 11:23:06 am »

I've got my eye on this band of ppt coming south today.  So far i've had no snow at all, but this band looks to be the one to finally deliver me some wintry goods here in the west midlands (hopefully!)  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2009, 01:47:09 pm »

Looks like saturdays weather front has hit northern ireland now - is it snowing for you guys?

I've had my first few flakes of snow earlier for this season, as the wind has swung round so it's blowing through the cheshire gap http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070102105312AAC9jts - fingers crossed for later on!  There seems to be (atm) lots of beefy showers behind the main weather front which if they keep their intensity have some potential for a snowy day for me tomorrow  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2009, 03:26:04 pm »

There's been thundersnow in Scotland today

The warm front is just rain here but the back edge will turn to snow later, then the showers come in on the NW wind with hail, snow, and possibly even thunder in places. Should be plenty of snow showers later tonight and Sun...if the Met Office is correct, and so far they have been doing a great job with the snow forecasts for Britain. Sun could be a nasty day with blizzards in places. I'm expecting to see some cbs on Sun with gust fronts dropping snow showers....might be a good day for the camera, if your fingers can stand it  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2009, 03:36:04 pm »

TORRO convective forecast out for mainland Britain, chance of tornadoes and lightning....

http://www.torro.org.uk/site/forecast.php
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2009, 03:48:50 pm »

if the Met Office is correct, and so far they have been doing a great job with the snow forecasts for Britain.

You're right here Martin, they have been pretty much spot on so far this season regards the current cold spell...
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2009, 03:57:32 pm »

Finally you've got there some snow too!  Smiley

Here in Ukraine the winter becomes wonderful indeed! Today in Poltava it is -10C, snowing since early morning, 18cm of snow on the ground. Compare: southern & eastern regions of Ukraine have up to 30...60cm of snow. Several large cities (e.g. Odessa, Lugansk) have the road traffic blocked, as well as some of main highways were particularly blocked during last 2 nights. Poltava doesn't have it all so serious, the main streets today were full of snow but still possible to drive, although minor streets (like one where I live) weren't cleaned enough good, so only pedestrians can pass without a fear to stuck in the snow.
Now waiting for a few more snowfalls during Sun-Mon.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum