Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 03:04:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?  (Read 27381 times)
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: February 27, 2010, 10:05:10 am »

Roll on Spring storms...

Mark, yip that looks like a nasty storm heading for Europe, someone said it could be life threatening. Heavy rain and gales could be on the cards for S. Britain, possibly sleet/snow furthern N at the cold boundary. That is definitely one to watch.

Yes, with only a couple of weeks to go till the equinox i'm looking forward to spring now!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: February 27, 2010, 01:31:30 pm »

oh oh, has anyone seen the latest GFS?, looks like no sign of Spring at all, yet another cold spell with high pressure takes hold for March with cold weather from an Ely or NEly flow and many more snow events next week and weekend widly across UK and Ireland. There's no end to this Winter!
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 27, 2010, 04:43:29 pm »

oh oh, has anyone seen the latest GFS?, looks like no sign of Spring at all, yet another cold spell with high pressure takes hold for March with cold weather from an Ely or NEly flow and many more snow events next week and weekend widly across UK and Ireland. There's no end to this Winter!

Tee hee hee, this is going to be a season to remember!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: February 27, 2010, 07:37:24 pm »

lol  Grin

There where thunderstorms in W. Ireland and S/central Britain today too  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 28, 2010, 10:29:47 am »

Well it's just gone 10am here and this weather has pretty much missed us here in the west mids.  I went to bed about 3am and it was overcast with the occassional gust of wind, got up 9ish and there was some big flakes of snow coming down - these stopped within seconds (I think the clouds knew I was watching  Tongue ), now it's overcast with an occasional gust of wind.  Looking at the rainfall radar would seem all the weather and rain has gone well to the south east of me, up the English Channel.  I'm vaguely hopeful it may actually clear up as the day goes on - maybe some solar observing later this aft, hopefully a bit of astro later tonight?  Fingers crossed anyway!  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: March 01, 2010, 04:23:11 pm »

Looks like a big downgrade this week, not much snow potential at all now, what a difference a few days can make.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 06, 2010, 10:07:32 am »

Well, another week passes and into march.  Another cold weekend as high pressure sits upon us with night time lows below zero again, daytime highs single figures but still feeling chilly.

I wonder when this wintry grip will finally break?  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: March 08, 2010, 07:46:30 pm »

I wonder when this wintry grip will finally break?  Roll Eyes
Well, here in Poltava it seems like never.  Grin
Although it is the second day of March (ie spring as most people think), but we still have 21cm of snow on the ground and temperatures within -5...+2C.  Tongue
Not so horrible as you can imagine from my words though... a week ago there were first signs of spring already: it was sometimes sunny, the temperatures were reaching +3...+7C in the daytime (although a few degress below zero at night), the snow was melting, and there was plenty of water & ice everywhere. But last weekend turned everything backwards to winter. A few snowfalls passed by, temperature is again mostly below zero. Feeling a bit frustrating to observe overcast & wintry weather instead of something better.
March is going to be a fourth month of winter (as in 2006) because 2-week forecast now tells about some clear weather this week with -5...-10C at night and then again plenty of precipitation (snow / wet snow / rain). More to tell... meteorologists warn about serious flooding in April, just after the snow completely melts.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: March 12, 2010, 04:40:32 pm »

Thunderstorms in England today, looks like the storm season is starting already  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 13, 2010, 09:24:21 am »

Was just drizzle for me  Sad

Well, woke up this morning to another ground frost, however daytime temperatures are quite widely forecast to be double figures with the outlook for a warming.  Could this be back of what has been a memorably chilly winter?  I'm ready for some warmer weather now atleast...  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: March 14, 2010, 04:31:40 pm »

Fun weather today in Poltava... There was an intense snowfall in the morning (additional 1...2cm of snow). Further since afternoon the sky became completely clear. The temperature is close to zero or a bit warmer, wind is sometimes gusty. It seemed like a nice weather as for early spring, but we had cancelled our stargazing today  Sad another cyclone is on its way, I already see plenty of Cirrus in SW, and there will possibly be a snowfall tonight.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: March 15, 2010, 03:40:16 pm »

Weather is set to turn wet and windy from Thurs onwards, after that an unstable SWly flow feeds in with a chance of a thundery breakdown around the 22nd. GFS is showing good CAPE and LI for the time of year!, looks like Ireland and parts of S/W britain could see some proper convection next week. Bring it on.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: March 15, 2010, 08:35:49 pm »

Fingers crossed for the first storms of the season- hope the forecast holds up, would love to get some storm shots  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: March 31, 2010, 08:45:41 pm »

Wow, I have just read that NI have much of fresh snow, so Ukraine is nothing comparative to it. But we still have it unusual. The most of snow covering has melt near March 24-25, but in shaded places there is still some snow/ice on the ground, and some of the snow dumps around the city are over 1 meter high! (melting very slowly).
It is even more impressive to have summer-like temperatures (+19C today afternoon) and at the same time to see some snow on the ground. I haven't seen such weather conditions in >10 years!  Shocked Spring keeps steadily here for second week already, and (yes!) it is mostly dry & sunny. Nevertheless, some of those snow masses aren't going to melt even in 1-2 weeks ahead.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:49:46 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: April 05, 2010, 09:33:08 pm »

Finally I may say bye-bye to winter and forget about its attributes. Today I saw last remnants of ice in the streets, I hope I will not see them tomorrow. It was definitely weird to have daytime temperature close +20C with even some weak convection while there was snow on the ground. One of the most unusual winters for me (however, it might be nothing extraordinary perhaps)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:42:59 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum