Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 07:55:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?  (Read 27364 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2009, 10:38:24 pm »

You are very lucky.
What, lucky to get it, lucky to survive or what?

About 3 weeks ago I had a dose of something which was almost imperceptible at the time but left me feeling like I was recovering from a dose of flu - you know, the tiredness, depression, aches & pains & do on.

BTW swine flu being Mexican in origin, the trick with the hat and the bottle of whiskey doesn't work, unless the whiskey is substituted by tequila. (Go to bed, place hat at foot of bed, drink from bottle till second hat appears, when you sober up the 'flu will have flown).

Lol...I thought that too- Re  Padraig being 'lucky ' I needed a laugh.  It's always the unintentional comments that  are the gems and Brian's droll question just enhanced it.

I know how to cure swine flu but it's a bit harsh. What you do is to  wrap a cold wet towel around yourself - nothing else just the towel and  when it's cold outside (better with a bit of  chilly wind too ) sit at an open window  in a draught and this way you'll likely get pneumonia and they can cure that. I  fancied being a Dr. one time but the long hours put me off..  Grin

Better get back on topic. I've seen a chart of where they think snow may fall and it's missing us - all around but we miss it.I'm sure  that could change though.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2009, 01:24:20 am »

Hey Roman...it was just a pot luck guess lol. Glad you got the snow though, still waiting on my first this year.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2009, 07:07:09 am »

Hey Roman...it was just a pot luck guess lol. Glad you got the snow though, still waiting on my first this year.

Fingers crossed we may well get some next week, though looking at the charts / data i'm not convinced (for where I live anyway) there will be any huge amount.  Wonder how little it will take this year to grind the UK to a halt  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2009, 08:55:37 am »

Wonder how little it will take this year to grind the UK to a halt
Two flakes is more than enough, if they fall in central London. Especially if one happens to fall onto railway tracks.
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2009, 07:28:07 pm »

Wonder how little it will take this year to grind the UK to a halt
Two flakes is more than enough, if they fall in central London. Especially if one happens to fall onto railway tracks.

OUCH! But I like it!!
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 07:00:21 pm »

I can not comment this forecast, it is just crazy...  Smiley

I will be rolling on floor laughing if it would return back to positive temperatures (along with rain) during the last days of 2009, as the forecasts suggest.  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 08:40:58 pm »

Lol, it looks like we're in for a chilly few days ahead here in the UK too.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 09:56:56 pm »

Some fresh news from tonight... It is only a midnight here, but in northern Ukraine (~200km from Poltava) it is already -20C and even below. Here it keeps to be -10...-12C, slightly snowing, and I saw the light pillars (>100m high) in the air.

Hmm, the frosts we have here seem to be absolutely not a problem, since a man from Permsky kray (European Russia) has told that they have first clear skies tonight, but he's afraid to go outside observing because it is... -45C! OMG!  Shocked Also, I've seen on TV now that Moscow has somewhat below -25C tonight.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:02:55 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 07:25:37 am »

Tee hee hee, that's 'Extreme Weather' Roman, would love that to happen in the UK, I would be rolling around on the floor laughing at how pathetically the UK coped.  It's more 'chilly' n the UK rather than cold, but is set to change colder by the weekend - I reckon we'll see the country grinding to a halt before too long  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 08:05:35 am »

I didn't need to wait long to see it...
Here is what it was like at the time of sunrise, and the same kept until 9AM. The sky is partly cloudy (Ac, Cs).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 08:12:50 am by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2009, 06:11:04 pm »

My goodness, you really are getting severe winter weather Roman...stay warm.

Hopefully we will get some Winter weather action over the weekend here in NI, there's a chance of snow but don't want to say anything more about it incase I jinx it. I wonder if we will get snow on Christmas Eve and Day  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 04:29:29 pm »

have had some snow today really nice  and snowing now
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 11:31:48 pm »

Great stuff Padraig!

Thundersnow in Britain and ROI this evening.

Met Office going for snow in N. Ireland Sat/Sun.

It's freezing here tonight and the sky is fantastic!
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2009, 12:54:17 am »

Glad I'm not the only one suffering through a brutally cold winter, or December rather. Been very cold here the last two weeks, temps ranging from -5 to -25C most of that time. Not to mention the 21" of snow we've received this winter, our yearly average is 28" I think, so we're way ahead of pace. I am ready for the cold to go and to melt the snow! 73 days until march 1!! and the start of severe weather season.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2009, 06:05:01 am »

It's freezing here tonight and the sky is fantastic!
It doensn't look so easy here. Temperature keeps within -10...-15C, weak snowstorm last night, and now I look in the window and see ~15cm of snow on the ground. We're waiting for two powerful snowstorms on Sat & Sun, meanwhile the daytime temperature would rise up to -4...+1C. And then again, on Tue-Wed the temperature will drop into -15C daytime and -20C (and possibly lower) at night, and there is some probability of clear skies!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum