Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 07:10:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Glenshane Extreme Blizzard - March 30th

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Glenshane Extreme Blizzard - March 30th  (Read 1111 times)
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 01:48:45 pm »

WOW! That was a fantastic read Martin. 10/10 for trying to convey the atmosphere & the constantly changing feeling from elation to panic. So glad that you managed to control the car before it smacked into the gritter! Also full credit for a collection of superb shots/videos to illustrate the text. Almost gave me goosebumps just looking at them. My favourite has to be the eighth shot (if I've counted correctly) down on page 2 of the hilly background and winding road. The shots following it with the contrasting pink background clouds also look spectacular.

Thanks for sharing. Dare I ask how long it must have taken to put that report together? A superb read for sure!
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 06:50:17 pm »

Thanks very much Andy for your kind words and for taking the time to read the account, It took me 2-3 days to do and I got round to completing it at 04.30 this morning, so that's why I need to go back over it and correct spelling mistakes, my eyes and brain had enough at that time of the morning lol.

I went for a 3 mile walk around Glenshane forest today with my Dad, it was exhausting in the snow, it almost put me to bed early. The snowdrifts are 4ft deep or more in places after days melting in the Sun, there are dozens of trees flattened and laying across the trek where we walked, some of the trees were snapped clean in half like twigs, one was +60ft long, it looks like a serious event had taken place there. Other trees moaned leaning on their neighbours ready to fall on unsuspecting walkers, one thing is for sure, I would not have liked to have been here on Wed night with those trees coming down!. Funny thing was after seeing +8ft of snowdrifts several days ago there was a guy there today stuck in 1" of slush/snow which only covered 6ft of a lay by, he was out with the shovel as we drove past - comical that he would get stuck in that  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 12:09:10 am »

Martin congrats on that great account, read of the snow storm was such a treat for me in these boring weather times lol those drifts are really eye popping candy the patterns they make are fascinating to me if i say so myself. Got some a few days ago myself on the Wicklow Mtns was up at 480 m asl and there were lovely have photos on the IWN Network.
By the way whay could'nt have they built the road around the Sperrins instead of cutting through the Pass they mus'nt have known what sort of weather you could experience up there ugh road authorities these days ??

Padraig.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:12:10 am by Padraig OBrien » Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 12:21:08 am »

By the way whay could'nt have they built the road around the Sperrins instead of cutting through the Pass
It's a long way round.

Incidentally the Glenshane usually grabs the headlines but the Coleraine-Limavady road "over the mountain" is usually worse when there's a snowfall. Even so, people prefer to try to drive over it than go 10 miles extra at sea level.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 12:07:47 pm »

Fantastic set of reports Martin, I really enjoyed reading them Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 09:20:49 pm »

Thanks Mark, here's a few more snaps of the snowdrifts 5 days after the main event.

Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 09:40:11 pm »

...   Undecided

...   Undecided

Impressive!  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum