Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 08:44:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter 2009 / 2010 in Western Europe?  (Read 27365 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2009, 10:13:01 am »

Parts of Europe will be turning very cold in the near future so perhaps we will be in for a cold Winter this year.
Well, I can't say anything about next winter (although I hope there'll be much snow), but I can say a bit about the current weather situation. There is a powerful LP area above Poland, which causes inflow of arctic air into W & central Europe (thanks for the link to austrian website btw), and on the other hand, Ukraine experiences southern and SW winds during last week or so, hence the rainy air masses from Balkans come here one by one, with some clear spells between them. Along with that, the temperatures keep relatively high, varying mostly from +10 to +18C. There is also a powerful anticyclone above Central Asia, which affects the weather in S Russia as well as sometimes in E Ukraine. It has not actually reached Poltava, but on some days in October we had max temperatures up to +23C - that's pretty high for mid October. My statistics for the first half of October in Poltava reveal that the deviation form normal is +3°C, however it may be sufficiently colder in the end of the month, making an average temperature closer to its normal value.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:15:42 am by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum