Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 02:42:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

C/2007 W1 Boattini

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: C/2007 W1 Boattini  (Read 1388 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2008, 02:20:38 pm »

This is currently the brightest comet in the sky and the first of two comets of the same name visible from the northern hemisphere. C/2007 W1 Boattini has recently been estimated at mag +5.5 by Alan Hale from New Mexico despite the comet's low elevation. It is now a morning object visible in bright twilight near the head of Cetus. It moves further north each night while it slowly fades. It should still be a binocular object for the near future. Those with darker skies from more southern lats of the UK MIGHT even catch it with the naked eye.

Wide field chart...

Deep chart from skyhound.com...

http://www.skyhound.com/cometchasing/comets/2007_W1.gif

All images, sketches, and visual reports are welcome.

Here's some info from sky & telescope on Boattini

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/skyblog/observingblog/22809364.html
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 07:53:27 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

davegrennan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:35:29 pm »

Martin,

I saw W1 from Greece last week while it was a little higher from there.  Very nice comet indeed.  I thought the coma looked decidedly fan shaped.
Report Spam   Logged

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
------------------------------
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
http://www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 03:08:38 pm »

Hi Dave

Great to hear you seen Boattini, it sounds like a nice one, especially the coma. I was up very late last night hoping to catch the comet but the clouds could not be encouraged to part. Looking forward to seeing it soon. Thanks for the report.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 10:13:47 pm »

I was up very late last night hoping to catch the comet but the clouds could not be encouraged to part. Looking forward to seeing it soon.
Yeah, my ephemeris (for 55.2N 6.5W) shows the altitude of the comet as barely 6 degrees at 02:10 UTC (0310 BST) July 13th when the Sun's centre is 10 degrees below the horizon - both uncorrected for refraction - the sky will be brightening significantly by then so I don't think there'd be much chance of seeing the comet any later.

I still haven't seen this comet at all though I did manage to image it twice pre-perihelion!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 02:39:02 pm »

That is a bright sky isn't it. Going by the elevation we might have to wait a while longer to get a good view of this comet. I recall your pre-perihelion W1 images Brian and through they were great. Hope you get a chance for a few post-perihelion images.
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O Beirnes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 03:32:05 pm »

Anyone going to try take a picture of it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 06:20:00 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Carl O'Beirnes,
Balbriggan Observatory (MPC#J09)
Co Dublin,
Ireland
http://www.webtreatz.com
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 06:08:47 pm »

Anyone  going  to try take a picture of it.
Yeah ... was kitted out to do so last night but the weather decided not to cooperate - there was a lot of cloud on the E horizon and the dreaded stratocumulus was starting to regroup having left me a hole whilst the sky was dark!

And I'll certainly not write it off until it gets below mag 10.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 03:44:11 pm »

Boattini is now getting more impressive looking...

http://terraiestels.blogspot.com/2008/08/comet-c2007-w1-boatini-at-its-best.html
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 11:44:09 am »

Broke the Boattini jinx last night and managed to see the comet at 0230 UT in 8" LX90 x59 - the "dark sky" altitude is now very reasonable and the comet was reasonably well visible as a fuzzy blob approx. 8 arc mins in diameter though the sky conditions were poor, with lots of drifting fog/stratus which frustrated attempts to photograph it.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 05:55:34 pm »

Nice work Brian!. Now you have seen it pre and post perihelion. Was it more impressive looking now than on the previous time?.

I have still to see this comet. Next good night and I will be making it the focus of all my efforts. Will be starting photographic meteor patrols soon. Not long to the Perseid now!
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 07:38:41 pm »

Now you have seen it pre and post perihelion.
No I haven't - I managed to image it twice pre-perihelion but didn't actually see it!

BTW it looks as though there may be some clear sky in the small hours tonight. About time too, solid thick cloud here since Monday morning.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 08:00:52 pm »

I was looking at the forecast to Brian, I read on cometsml that 6P/d.Arrest is now brightening rapidly at mag +9.6, It's to the right of Alpha Cap tonight. I wouldn't might hunting this guy down to.

..at least you have images of it!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 07:38:42 pm »

Well, I have 4 sucessfull observations of C/2007 W1 (July 24, 29, August 01 & 02).

Unsucessful observation on Aug.10, however the sky was dark and clear. I will try to observe it again on Aug.20-21, but maybe it is already too faint.

However I won't regret to say good-bye to W1 Boattini because the C/2008 A1 is coming in September.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum