Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:36:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Amateur astronomy in Poltava

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur astronomy in Poltava  (Read 12982 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2010, 04:23:48 pm »

On Saturday, March 27th we had our first sidewalk astronomy evening this year, which was in the coincidence with "Earth Hour" (see WWF website for more info). Weather was good, we needn't to worry about it - cloudless skies and enough warm.

We had time both for observations and for communications, and not forgetting to follow the rules of "Earth Hour" - we didn't use any piece of electricity (except of mobile phones and cameras). However, it was enough dark at the observatory grounds, so we hadn't noticed whether the city became darker during that hour.

30 people or so have intended our event, there were also a few parents with their kids.
There were 3 of us, organizers: me, Mykola F. Tyshchuk and Steven Jensen.
Also there were reporters from local newspaper "Selo Poltavs'ke" and info-agency "Novyny Poltavshchyny".

We were looking at the skies from 18:20 to 20:50 EET. Had luck to catch the evening star (Venus), then we observed consequently the Moon, Mars, Saturn, Orion Nebula, Pleiades, Mizar/Alcor. Atmosphere of our meeting was very good, not only young people & kids but also older people were excited after a view through a telescope, and they were thanking us for such an opportunity to get closer to the sky. Some of visitors have seen a "falling star", but I wasn't one of them.  Roll Eyes

A few photos of mine...

Mykola F. Tyshchuk invites everybody to the telescope dome (of 160mm refractor).

Watching through my 76mm Newton.

Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum