Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 03:22:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Amateur astronomy in Poltava

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur astronomy in Poltava  (Read 12962 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2009, 09:47:25 pm »

Meeting of amateur astronomers in Poltava (Sep 20, 2009)

Hey guys,
just thought I should share it with you...  Smiley

Today, Sep. 20th,  we had our first local meeting of amateur astronomers in Poltava city. Even more, today we have founded our Society of amateur astronomers in Poltava.

Only 3 of us are actually inhabitans of Poltava city, more people are from oblast (100-150km in the neighbourhood). Besides, on today's meeting we had two guests - Jim Wiggins from CA, USA and Karen Waterfton from Scotland (living not far from the most of you afaik). Jim is a traveller and solar eclipse chaser, you can found more info at his website: www.iwiggins.com

Next are some photosnaps:

2PM - After the meeting. Poltava, Zhovtneva st.

3PM - having dinner in cafe

(I am third to the left, Karen is first to the left, Jim is third to the right)

Fragment of Sikhote-Alyn meteorite (weights >100g) which Alexander Repnoy has taken together with him.

7PM - Quickly gazing at Jupiter in Poltava gravimetric observatory (via 200mm refractor)

Boris Sincheskul (he works at the observatory) is standing in the centre.

BTW, today was some kind of special day...  Wink http://astrophotoweather.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,642.msg12006.html#msg12006

Now as we've made our first step with our society, we are planning to organize a sidewalk astronomy event in Poltava city (and Kremenchuk too) during the Galilean Nights (October 22-24, 2009). I hope we will be lucky with it.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:03:17 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 10:12:53 pm »

Hey Roman, all the very best with the new Society, lets hope it goes from strength to strength. That's a nice looking refractor, who is the manufacturer?
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 11:03:48 pm »

Thanks John!  Smiley

That's a nice looking refractor, who is the manufacturer?
That refractor is "ABP-2" (read AVR), D=200mm, F=3000m. It was bought by observatory in 1960, is used since 1964 for visual observing of lunar occultations, and since 1974 - also for photoelectric observations.
I do know that it is manufactured in USSR, but I don't remember the exact place. Very possible, that it was manufactured at Kazan Optical and Mechanical Plant (Tatarstan, Russia). At least this fact is true for the same instruments in observatories of Moscow and Rostov-na-Donu (I have just found that info on the web).
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 07:20:19 am »

Fantastic!  It's always good when like minds meet! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 03:59:34 pm »

Really enjoyed the report and images Roman, thanks very much for sharing them with us and for keeping us updated on the new astro society. Looks like you are in fine company with like minded individuals, I can see the future of amateur astronomy in your country within the hands of you and the other members. I hope it turns into a massive and successful society. You certainly have all the ingredients there, - scopes and passionate people.

I bet that even the view through that finder scope is fantastic never mind the main instrument!

Best of luck.
Report Spam   Logged

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 04:12:06 pm »

Nice report Roman, looks like you all had a good time too. I've got something about the size of that finder on my rig ...
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 12:44:01 pm »

Thanks for your kind words everyone!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 08:18:45 pm »

First meeting of POLA (Society of amateur astronomers in Poltava) have taken place at Poltava gravimetric observatory on Sunday, Feb.14, 2010. (it was the day of Chinese New Year by the way)  Wink

It was an important event for us and it was sucessful, as there were 8 participants: 4 (of 6) members of our society, 2 astronomers from observatory and 2 guests from amateur astronomers' clubs of Dnipropetrovsk and Kyiv.

We were talikng about:
- the events of the last year: UAF-2009 (Ukrainian astronomy forum), "100 hours of Astronomy", "Galilean Nights", meetings in Poltava and Krasnograd
- results of clubs' work during IYA-2009
- different questions inside our society
- popular astronomy
- asteroidal occultations and announce of the amateur conference which is planned for March 20th in Dnipropetrovsk.
- possibilities of future meetings and observations under dark skies

Now looking forward for at least a few more meetings during this year.
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:31:48 pm »

Great stuff Roman and congratulations on your success, thanks for sharing the image with us. Best of luck with your future meetings.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 07:20:39 pm »

Thanks Martin  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 04:23:48 pm »

On Saturday, March 27th we had our first sidewalk astronomy evening this year, which was in the coincidence with "Earth Hour" (see WWF website for more info). Weather was good, we needn't to worry about it - cloudless skies and enough warm.

We had time both for observations and for communications, and not forgetting to follow the rules of "Earth Hour" - we didn't use any piece of electricity (except of mobile phones and cameras). However, it was enough dark at the observatory grounds, so we hadn't noticed whether the city became darker during that hour.

30 people or so have intended our event, there were also a few parents with their kids.
There were 3 of us, organizers: me, Mykola F. Tyshchuk and Steven Jensen.
Also there were reporters from local newspaper "Selo Poltavs'ke" and info-agency "Novyny Poltavshchyny".

We were looking at the skies from 18:20 to 20:50 EET. Had luck to catch the evening star (Venus), then we observed consequently the Moon, Mars, Saturn, Orion Nebula, Pleiades, Mizar/Alcor. Atmosphere of our meeting was very good, not only young people & kids but also older people were excited after a view through a telescope, and they were thanking us for such an opportunity to get closer to the sky. Some of visitors have seen a "falling star", but I wasn't one of them.  Roll Eyes

A few photos of mine...

Mykola F. Tyshchuk invites everybody to the telescope dome (of 160mm refractor).

Watching through my 76mm Newton.

Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 06:15:05 pm »

It looks like everyone had a great time Roman!  Cheesy  It still looks pretty cold there with the remnants of snow on the ground.
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 07:18:38 pm »

Nice one Roman, its good to get the young people involved too and get them interested in astronomy at an early age.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 03:09:27 pm »

Great result Roman, love these updates and the cool images. It's fantastic that your'e doing so much astronomy outreach - there's nothing more rewarding than passing on the astro torch to the younger generation. It looks cold there though!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 08:11:47 pm »

Thank you for the comments guys!  Smiley

Here are some more photos...

<all images below © Yulia Pashkovs'ka, infoagency "Novyny Poltavshchyny" (автор фотоматеріалів Юлія Пашковська, Новини Полтавщини) >

starting sidewalk astronomy event at 18:20...

got captured me too...

inside telescope's dome...

Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum