Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 02:44:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

bragan mountain co.monaghan

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bragan mountain co.monaghan  (Read 1018 times)
jjb

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2009, 10:32:09 am »

Last night 4 of us went down to simons observing site at bragan mountain just outside clougher in co. monaghan.
The views where outstanding with the milky way towering overhead i took a few pics to give an idea of what we saw Smiley

Jonathan.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 11:44:23 am »

Those are brilliant shots Jonathan, sure looks like a great site. Sorry I couldn't join you, maybe next time?
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 12:11:38 pm »

Gorgeous images Jonathan!, my favourite area of sky too from Aquila down into the southern Milky Way. I was comet hunting though most of that area last night and found a faint cluster which I some how missed during the previous 9 years of searching.

Looks like you had a good nights observing.
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 02:10:38 pm »

Looks like a good dark site Jonathan - would be worth getting a driven mount up there for some long exposure dark skies!
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 04:36:16 pm »

Very nice images Jonathan, I really like the second one with the very dark background, must be the Cygnus region with the Coathanger on the right. Great job!
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 04:46:21 pm »

Glad that someone had an enjoyable observing session last night Jonathan, together with some very nice star cloud shots. Well done.

Last night 4 of us went down to simons observing site at bragan mountain just outside clougher in co. monaghan.

Forgive my ignorance as a bit of an 'outsider' (I live in Oxford), but are you referring to a guy called Simon Sloane? We have several 'regulars' on my main astronomy forum who hail from various NI locations & I sometimes get a little confused as to 'who knows who' (if that makes sense)! If it is (as I suspect, as his blog also mentions Bragan as a regular location) I have to say that I really enjoy the reports that I read of some of you guys respective observing sessions. Quite often I end up with a strong visualisation of the location from the way that the report is written and sometimes even a sense of almost 'being there'!

Like Martin I also particularly like the Milky Way from the likes of Aquila/Scutum down to Sagittarius/Scorpius - not just because of its richness but also the fact that the area is not generally well seen from UK latitudes, especially for city bound people like myself.

Anyway, thanks for sharing Jonathan.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 04:47:59 pm by Big Dipper » Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
jjb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 05:31:02 pm »

Thanks everyone for the replies with ref to big dipper yes you are correct it is simon sloane he and another member stevie did an all nighter and watched
orion rising in the wee small hours i left around midnight,it was one of those nights that was just perfect.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 09:55:26 pm »

Fantastic shots and a great observing site, Jonathan!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 07:23:51 am »

Great report and pics!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 04:51:39 pm »

Very nice Jonathan... Aha, so the piece begin to come together.. eh Andy  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum