Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 08:21:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Steamnadoes In Cookstown (No Images)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamnadoes In Cookstown (No Images)  (Read 276 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:28:06 pm »

Seen an absolutely spectacular sight this morning around 11.00. I was driving towards Cookstown, on the outskirts, when I observed, in a field, a fantastic bank of brilliant fog. The hot sun turned the fog into what looked like steam. It morphed into a huge vertical intense white wall about 15-20ft high with awesome rapid rising and twisting motions, at a speed which was stupendous. I'm certain I saw a cluster of very fast twisting steamnadoes within that wall, a sight which blew me away. Couldn't get any images as I was on a busy road, but my goodness, what a photo opp!!!. Very similar in appearance to the steamnado/devils which Mike Hollingshead has captured from Nebraska.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:13:11 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:38:39 pm »

That sounds absolutely fasinating Martin, a shame you were on such a busy Hwy. Personally, I've never heard of a Steamnado but I can picture it in my mind. I've experienced first hand dust devils on the dry lake beds in the US desert southwest. We use to ride dirt bikes when I was much younger and use to ride through the middle of them, they would sometimes tower 500' in height. I'll have to look at steamnado on the internet. Thanks
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 04:09:55 pm »

They were amazing, there's not much about them on the internet, although these images from Mike Hollingshead are similar to what I saw...

http://www.extremeinstability.com/08-8-29b.htm

The only difference was that there where more in Cookstown, all in a line with flickering/twisting motions, with bright white colours. The entire motion of the parent fog bank was like an upside-down waterfall. I will never look at fog the same way again. It would be worth going out before sunrise with the camera and watching for them. Which I might do.

Those dust devils sound great, I seen several brilliant examples during one hot Summer several years ago but none since. I will be more observant from now on. Cheers
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 06:34:10 pm »

Wow!  Shocked  Now that's given me something to look out for!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum