Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 03:24:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Yesterday's Storm & Floods

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yesterday's Storm & Floods  (Read 444 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: August 12, 2008, 09:29:15 pm »

Here's a few pics from August 11th. This was not the main impressive storm which I mentioned yesterday but another one which followed behind the first. This time I was home and had to use my old camera as the primary one was damp and still drying out. You can see the gust front and heavy precip core and under the shelf was very obvious Whale's Mouth structure. We got hit badly during the night, the rain was as bad as the big wind storm in early Jan this year. Today I visited the Moyola river. It was amazing. The fields surrounding it where filled with water which caused floods on the roads. By the time I seen it the flood had subsided alot however the local fishermen told me it was unbelievable first thing this morning with burst banks and water in the adjacent fields near the height of a fence post.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:35:05 am »

Great shots Martin! #6 looks like you were up to you waist in water with the compostion of the shot.  Shocked 
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

Visit my Blog http://steviesskyshack.blogspot.com

Visit my Flickr  http://www.flickriver.com/photos/16671294@N07/
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 07:31:44 pm »

Thanks very much Steven. I knelt down low for that shot. Early in the morning the water was above my head in that spot according to the fishermen.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 04:14:09 pm »

Nice turbulent clouds on #2,3,4 shots.  Smiley
I'm not much impressed with the flood because I saw before a lot of video on TV of a major flood in W Ukraine (in late July). However the last flood in Poltava that I remember was in March-April 2006, when a big amount of snow&ice has melt and water level in Vorskla river rised for 2-3 meters.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:31:05 pm »

At the time, that was big for our river but on the 16th it went crazy and burst its banks, it was the worst anyone can remember from here. See the flood thread I have up showing a few images and a video clip.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum