Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 06:52:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

C/2009 R1 McNaught - June 2010

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: C/2009 R1 McNaught - June 2010  (Read 7582 times)
rjgjr
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 05:19:28 am »

Thanks for the chart Roman. This weekend is looking very good here weatherwise, though the comet will be fairly low in the northeast.We'll  hope for the best!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 05:06:36 pm »

Here's another good chart froms skyhound.com...

http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/comets/2009_R1.gif

Don't forget that Heavensabove has a real time chart showing exactly where the comet is each night which is very useful.

http://www.heavens-above.com/comet.aspx?cid=C%2F2009%20R1&lat=0&lng=0&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=CET

Conor and I made our first R1 obsv last night while watching NLCs, sky was too bright to see it without optical aid however we could see it very easily in the 8.5" reflector as a bright fuzzy blob with well condensed coma and bright central condensation, Conor could see the green colour. No tail seen however I suspected a single streamer with averted vision.
Report Spam   Logged

Keith g

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 06:26:53 pm »

Me Too, no NLC's in cavan but I used my 15x70mm binoculars and I spotted it easily enough at about magnitude 5.5 or so, very green and definitley no tail, certainly after 2am I could not see it naked eye, I can discern a slight tail from my shot, but the twighlight is a killer.

www.flickr.com/photos/79652716@N00/4688670840/sizes/l/

Keith..
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 07:17:37 pm »

Fabulous result Keith!, looks like a suggestion of a tail on your image, great stuff. By the time the sky cleared around the comet it was 02.30 or so and the sky was so bright that we couldn't see it in binos at all and no chance of a capture on camera, hope to give it another go tonight during the darkest period of the night. Looking forward to seeing it near Capella and full mag within NLCs...
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 07:29:46 pm »

Good stuff Keith!  Think its time for me to take a look for R1 when the weather allows...
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 01:44:05 am »

I'm really gearing up for this weekend with our positive weather forecsat. The northeast sky is completly dark till almost 04:00 here so I think I'll have better luck than most. I've got my camera lenses all nice and shiny in anticipation!!
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 04:29:35 pm »

I'm not proud of this image at all, but at least I've got McNaught documented. Out of focus(someday I'll get a camera with live view), heavily cropped, and had to wait too long to clear my trees and was caught in the beginning of twilight. This was just my test shot, actually 10 stacked images. This weekend I'll head upriver to some flatter horizons and can probably catch the comet about an hour ealier and have time to fool with my focus a bit more. She looked great through binos!

10 sec x 10, 50 mm f/2 ISO 1600

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:32:27 pm by Richard Glenn » Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 06:15:02 pm »

Richard, I would be proud as punch to get an image half as a good as that! - look at the length of the gas tail streaming through the rich stars fields of Perseus, that is beautiful. Congratulations on your success!. You have motivated me to get out and try harder so thank you. Best of luck on the next clear night. The BAA are going for a peak mag of +3.5 now.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 07:10:20 pm »

Very nice Richard!

Dark at 04:00? Not till September .... not dark at all here till late July!

Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2010, 02:25:30 am »

Yahoo! Cheesy Weekend + clear skies = guaranteed success!  Grin

The sky was great tonight! I have just observed both McNaught's C/2009K5 and C/2009R1. First one is a bit fainter than before, situated far within Camelopardalis, passing lower culmination before the dawn. Second one is the same bright and well condensed, easy to get on 8 sec exposure and visually with 22x32 binos, although not enough for naked-eye: the sky is too bright. Have made an experiment - to follow the R1 comet as long as possible (with 20x90B). As result, I've lost it at 03:21 EEST, comet alt. 25° az. 047°; Sun alt. -9.1° az. 037°. Will post more detailed reports in a day or two.

P.S.

12.06.2010, 02:27 EEST, altitude 19 deg., single frame 8sec @ ISO3200 f/4.3, levels adjusted
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:57:46 am by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2010, 04:07:00 pm »

Nice one Roman, well done!!  Smiley

Cloudy last night but got a sudden clearance so rushed out in the car and set-up in a field and got a capture before the clouds rolled in again. Nothing great but I got my first capture of this comet which shows just how bright the twilight sky is here. I reckon during the 'darkest' period of the night it should be a fairly easy naked eye object with averted vision. Might have to wait until Sun for the next clear night.

Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2010, 05:40:48 pm »

Glad you got a snap of Mc Naught Martin. Yes it is visible with averted vision, but you have to almost look crosseyed lol, very inconspicuous(?) if you didn't know where to look. What time was your image taken? I see what you mean about the lightness in your sky. The comet image below was taken at 03:02 local time, but I was quite surprised by 04:00 the light just popped and began to wash everything out in the east. I drove to a rock quarry about a mile NE of town and was surprised at how dark it was there, of course I was looking out over 75 miles of National Forest with no towns. With all my attention to the NE, I was quite surprised once when I turned around and saw the Milky Way in the south, almost scared me, just beautiful. So it was a very eventful morning for me despite the lack of sleep

Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2010, 06:00:12 pm »

Beautiful images Richard, love the Milky Way structure with star clusters and dust clouds, what a fantastic location, it must be all the more special with the tall trees seen against the stars. Look how much the comet has moved between our two images. The image was taken approx 01.20 BST.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 02:17:07 am »

Tonight I was at the country location, have seen the comet R1 again, however had not much time&wish to thouroughly estimate it. Yes, Martin, it moves very noticeable night from night apart. At first glance through 20x90B it looked the same as before, but then it seemed to us that the coma is elongated to NW. I guess there was something like a tail 10-15' long, but I cannot confirm that fact.

Good luck everyone with catching it before it would be near perihelion!  Smiley

P.S. Stunning image, Richard!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2010, 07:37:53 am »

Good to see you've been getting your observations in, and a nice overview all round from y'all with the photos.  Keep em' coming, always great to see.  I've got my fingers crossed for later in the week/weekend for getting a view in  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum