Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 18, 2024, 07:55:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lack of Respect

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of Respect  (Read 407 times)
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2009, 05:00:50 pm »

I was trying to shoot an image for my Photo 52 theme entitled respect... I went to look around the local cemetery. I couldn't believe it when I saw the sign on the outside about vandalism. So changed my objective to shot Lack of instead..

1)

2)

3)

4)

And the one I used
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 05:14:03 pm »

Compelling shots John.
A bit more contrast in the B&Ws would help, I want to read the names on the stones.
Composition is excellent in all shots but I like #3 or #2 best.
Well done.
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 06:33:15 pm »

A sad indictment of a lot (not all) youth in this country. For me, it's quite a demoralising aspect of life these days.

When I take the dog for a walk I take a supermaket bag with me and collect discarded drinks cans and crisp packets.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 06:46:23 pm »

Excellent images John but very heartbreaking and sad also. The youth of today are an absolute disgrace, something is going to break at some point. I could tell you a million stories about what thay get up to around here, their lack of values, morals, brains, drug abuse, and dangerous driving..don't get me started  Smiley.

I like what you done with the b&w grave stone and blue cans - that sums it all up perfectly!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 08:57:12 pm »

Great shots John, but it's sad to see those beautiful old memorials destroyed like that. And I agree with what's already been said so far. In the old churchyard where my Mum and Dad are I recently counted 14 of the wee pots for flowers missing from graves, and I wondered to myself just why would anyone want to take those, you can buy them for around £15 in the undertakers! Don't get me started either Sad
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 09:00:42 pm »

Fantastic shots but a sad tale...  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 10:58:58 pm »

I agree with all that's been said. Life is no different from one side of the ocean to the other, although I would say it's much worse in the States than anywhere else, just my opinion! My son is a K9 Police Officer and I cringe at some of the things he tells me about the youth and what they're up to, especially in Southern California!! Oregon isn't there, yet. Totally discusting. OK,  now where were we. Great images by the way.
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 08:20:59 am »

It really is a sad state of affairs when this sort of thing happens, it seems to becoming more and more evident, and I'm glad that I've managed to get that across in the images. This was about the first time I've shot with an intent of portraying a particular "story" (if that makes sense) I've been reading books again.. always dangerous...

I feel a possible project in the offing here... if I can work out what and how...

Thanks for the comments guys. John, that's a fantastic idea and I'll keep a placcy bag in my camera bag from now on.

Whilst the youth of today are a disgrace, there's a lot to lay at the parents doors too. I hope I'm dragging my two up to be more respectful and behave properly...
Report Spam   Logged

John

*** My Astro Blog ***
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 09:55:47 am »

It really is a sad state of affairs when this sort of thing happens, it seems to becoming more and more evident, and I'm glad that I've managed to get that across in the images.
Indeed.  Makes my blood boil ... The morons that do this sort of thing simply don't seem to be capable of realising that there is a person under the headstone, and that person was someone's mother/father/brother/sister/son/daughter ... I consider myself pretty liberal in most respects, but IMO the best place for people who do this sort of damage is under their own headstone. Good job I'm not a judge!
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 02:59:49 pm »

That's what I really wanted to write, Brian but  I thought that this is a photography forum on a friendly site not a rant forum ..quite often if you voice views like that all the libbies come crashing down on you so I was very muted. I'm pretty much on the 'right' with matters of law and order etc. There's a wee ray of light though because  all  we  get read about  and hear of is the bad 'uns, we don't get to hear or see the kids that go to the sports clubs and hobby clubs and get on with their studies BUT unfortunately they are in a minority , and a small one at that and even the 'good ones ' have attitude. This country isn't 'going downhill' it's at the bottom of the hill.

John..here's another photo(s) of yours that would make it into the local paper. Just send them in  with a paragraph .. how have we got to this state  etc. ? They are powerful images and honestly, I think you could use them to great effect.  Tomorrow the local paper here is printing my zebra finch photo, the office rang me this morning to get a few words about it so, what I'm saying is that if they are happy to print low level stuff like this then your local paper should grab the opportunity to kick off a local  'write-in' . Please give it a try.
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 03:32:45 pm »

That's an interesting idea John, what with the sign on the gate too... Might make people open their eyes around here, cos I doubt many of them have seen the sign on the gate.
Report Spam   Logged

John

*** My Astro Blog ***
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum