Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 01:07:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

How to image the wind?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to image the wind?  (Read 357 times)
brianb

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2009, 04:23:25 pm »

A good question ... here's my attempt. Last night I was trying to take some images for photometry in the field of V Vul, but the wind (much stronger than forecast) wasn't helping at all; despite a solid tripod, many images were affected by wind vibration.

Here's an exceptionally good example; note the satellite track....

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 04:27:18 pm »

That's a cool image Brian, the wind produced a nice corkscrew pattern in that sat trail. There has indeed been some gusty winds around lately, shows how dedicated you are anyway!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 07:52:50 pm »

Definitly an interesting sat trail. Must have been an exceptionally strong wind to cause that much vibration in your tripod and mount!
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 09:25:03 pm »

Must have been an exceptionally strong wind to cause that much vibration in your tripod and mount!
About force 6 with gusts to gale force.... "Exceptionally strong" here would be storm force but I'd not normally be out in such conditions.

Incidentally I did get useful data from the session - had to reject 7 out of 21 frames of this set due to excessive vibration and the residuals from the remaining frames were larger than usual (0.04 - 0.05 mags instead of 0.01 - 0.02); using two different comparison stars I found V Vul at 8.757 +/- 0.045 and 8.741 +/- 0.050 (V band) on 2009 August 29.02. The sets on epsilon Aurigae, gamma Cassiopeiae and rho Cassiopeiae were much more successful due to the shorter focal length employed for measuring bright objects.

Is anyone else following epsilon Aurigae?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 09:41:45 pm by brianb » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum