Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 06:37:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Thunder & Screaming Children

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thunder & Screaming Children  (Read 469 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2009, 05:04:42 pm »

Here's a video clip I took on Aug 24th of several rumbles of thunder over Maghera. Check out the screaming of the Children lol.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 02:33:01 am »

Very entertaining clip Martin - loved it!

The screaming kids were the icing on the cake! Perhaps their parents never told them that thunder is only the Angels moving furniture!  Grin
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 02:36:44 am by Big Dipper » Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:19:07 am »

Lol!  Tongue  I work in a school and everytime it thunders the kids start screaming.  It's a ripple effect, one of the screams and it starts all of them off!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 03:39:14 pm »

Children and pets are very entertaining in thunderstorms. I'll never forget the first time my boys experienced thunder was in the Midwest on a vacation in the early 90's. We spent the night in Kansas and had a thunderstorm materialize in the middle of the night and unleash it's fury. Needless to say nobody got any sleep the rest of the night!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 04:25:38 pm »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences everyone. They were a joy to read. Brings back that feeling of both fear and excitement experienced from younger days. Good to get those feelings again.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 04:44:31 am »

LOL to the children screaming, reminds me of my first thunderstorm in California, it was a big electrical storm, only get thunderstorms once or twice a year out there, it was quite frightening.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 08:21:57 pm »

I'll never forget the first time my boys experienced thunder was in the Midwest on a vacation in the early 90's.
Is the thunder such a rare event in Oregon?

P.S. I enjoy falling asleep during an evening thunderstorm.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
rjgjr
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:18:26 pm »

Like most areas, it depends on where you live. At that time we lived in Southern California, the mountains and deserts have summertime thunderstorms, but not along the coast where we were. You might hear a couple of rumbles a year. Same here in Oregon. The mountains and high deserts generate thunderstorms through afternoon heating. Here on the Oregon coast, there is no heating, this zone is too temperate. Our summertime highs are in the mid 60's and lows in the mid 50's. Winter time our storms come straight out of the Gulf of Alaska, but still very mild. We usually don't receive much rain from May through October, and then receive 90" the other 6 months.
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 08:14:19 am »

Very good Martin. What is it with kids of today, mine are just the same, scared silly by a little sky rumble... As a kid (my eldests age) I used to love sitting on the window sill watching the lightning and listening to the thunder... can't do it now, when we actually do get a storm around here, as everyone else in the house is frightened silly.

We had quite a storm system trundle through whilst on holiday, didn't get to see any of it, but the noise was amazing. There seemed to be multiple storm centres passing over.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 10:19:28 pm »

That was  real life wasn't it Lol. When we had thunderstorms when I was a toddler my parents would sit my sister and me on the w bedroom window sill and I still recall in my mind's eye one particular storm in which the lightning lit up the purple heather on the hill next to our home and also  a war time radar mast. on the hill. We lived near Liverpool and  I was told that the german bombers flew over our home . So, that's what my parents said during the TS's 'What beautiful colours' and 'wasn't that pretty' (CG.) I'm convinced that this attitude and experience caught my imagination and I've always loved TS's.   When there were TS's when I was visiting my sister and her little 'uns in days gone by I explained to them what thunder is - I just cannot be doing with parents, adults telling kids the sort of things we hear about, clouds banging into each other, God being angry, God walking across heaven, Angels moving furniture   ?? Lol..I quite like that one, giants fighting and whatever else.     
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum