Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 18, 2024, 03:33:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A Mystery Bird

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Mystery Bird  (Read 393 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2009, 10:54:40 pm »

We have a bird feeder next to a pyracantha hedge and in that hedge live about 30 sparrows. I've noticed that one bird that also lives with this flock in the hedge looks like a juvenile starling but today I noticed that it has the back feathers of a sparrow but ,apart from it's size ,beak etc. also  has a spotted chest just like a juvenile starling. Can this possibly be a cross breed ? -I've called it a 'sparling'. Quite regularly starlings will visit this feeder but this one stays with the sparrows in the hedge. Also it exclusively eats the fat balls just like the other starlings.,it doesn't eat the seed like the sparrows do (they also eat the fartballs) What do you think ?

Here's a regular sparrow  and two shots of this 'sparling'  One lets you see the back feathers - exactly like a sparrow in colour and in pattern, the other photo , on  the bird bath, shows the chest- that of a juvenile starling before it gets those purply/green colours of an adult..

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 10:56:14 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:42:00 am »

I'm not a bird officianado John, I'll leave that up to the others. Just wanted to say great images, color and detail!
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 12:07:58 pm »

We have alot of starlings in our garden.  I'd say the little fella is going through his moult - somewhere between the first and second images here >>> http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/starling/feathers.asp
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 05:46:57 pm »

Thanks,Richard. As you liked them so much I'll be naughty and post this one again. I love it !  I don't know whether you saw it first time round.

Thanks,Mark.  It's a starling  after all. I wonder how unusual it is to be living in a hedge with a bunch of sparrows  though ? The sparrows leave it alone but beat each other up and as you see here intimidate one another to get to the seed .Lol.

Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 06:34:50 pm »

Thanks John, the wing action is incredible. Good catch!
Report Spam   Logged
JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 12:06:36 am »

It certainly looks like a crossbreed between a house sparrow and a starling. Its got a starlings bill and chest speckles, but the shape and typical plumage of a house sparrow. However I have never heard of interbreeding between these before.
Very interesting.
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 01:26:54 am »

I am a member of Birdwatch Ireland atm and i also feed birds in my garden and i honestly can say i have never come across House Sparrows and Starlings interbreeding so its very interesting indeed it could even be a juvenile Mistle or Song Thrush.
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum