Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 07:49:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Convective Potential Ireland & UK - Wed/Thurs Aug 19/20th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Convective Potential Ireland & UK - Wed/Thurs Aug 19/20th  (Read 913 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2009, 05:00:05 pm »

Quite a wild day here with nasty weather which felt more like Autumn than Summer. Although I did not witness any lightning I did get on some cool stuff. Encountered an impressive gust front over Toome which looked very nasty and dark with intense curtains of rain and hail with dynamic curling motions evident on the outflow/shelf interface. This was red and white on radar. Got ahead of it and later got in its way over the NW shore of Lough Neagh at Ballyronan Marina.  It hit with brutal intensity with torrential rain and intense squalls of wind which sent bow waves rippling across the Lough - very impressive stuff. The temp drop was phenomenal in the icy outflow which felt like I was doing photography in the snow. The same guster produced lightning on the E side of the Lough. Lots of mammatus around after this. Lively stuff indeed! Also lots of flooding today in the fields with an impressive height to the River Ban after last night's nasty rainfall
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum