Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 10:58:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Do you mind, I'm having lunch !

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you mind, I'm having lunch !  (Read 559 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2009, 04:56:50 pm »

I tried the macro again today and these are pond skaters on a lily in  our garden pond. I gave up with the tripod - I'd dismantled it to get it very low but I was unable to stop the ball head from moving left and right at the slightest touch so this was taken with me lying full length on the lawn and the camera resting on a large beanbag on the edging stones of the pond.

Thank you John(jgs) for getting me interested in Macro - it really is a whole new and exciting  world. It's not just a matter of settings but thinking about all the different subjects. Our kitchen spider is back in his corner atm.

180mm. (2ft.) auto. f5 @164/sec ISO 200
Spot metering : Centre AF point. Cable release.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:01:53 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 06:00:22 pm »

Nicely captured John. I gotta say you've got an amazing DOF for f5 at these distances... I wanna proper macro lens...

Try pointing the macro lens on something as ordinary looking as wrapping paper, string, material etc. That really brings to light how different things are at these scales.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 07:45:22 pm »

Cheers, John.  Re. the f5 - would you have expected less Dof with f 5 ? and do you think it's because it's a dedicated macro lens ?  I just went route 1 with it rather than get extension tubes and this and that ,I'd only have got the wrong things so for me route 1 is safe.

What I'll  do with our resident spider is to put a piece of white ( I assume) paper on the outside of the window and that will give a better background .
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 09:45:08 pm »

Great shot John, talk about the proper art of multi-tasking!!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 10:58:32 pm »

An extremelly well taken professional quality image of a dramatic and amusing subject - I love the focus precision  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 12:06:19 am »

Thanks for comments- not sure it's up at prof. level Martin - bit of a way to go I think. I want to see a praying mantis on a leaf stem Lol. The ulitimate macro shot. I don't know if we get them here- probably not warm enough.
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 09:10:03 am »

John... Oh yes... very much less DOF... It might be cos it's a dedicated macro lens of course... quite how they behave at 1:1 I'm not certain, but I know the apparent aperture changes somewhat. I normally use at least f12 if not smaller to try and get some DOF... This does of course get worse the higher the magnification.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 11:23:01 am »

That is a nice picture Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum