Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 01:27:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

First Macro

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Macro  (Read 309 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2009, 09:42:07 pm »

I had a think about whether to post these two because they were the first two macro I've done ,I just wanted to try it and now I'll start reading up on  it. I was at a friend's house and didn't have the tripod for the fuschcia but you can see the reflection of the other fushcia's in the raindrop. The other photo is one end of a jackplug and it was on the kitchen worktop and so was the lens only about 6 inches from it- wrong ! lol. Then,later I read that for 1:1 with this lens you need to be 18 inches away which is great for nervous critters and the lens focuses within the barrel and doesn't creep outside it towards the critter.  I need a 3-way ball head and an angle finder and possibly a different tripod than the one I've got. 

John (jgs). I've posted this because you like macro and thought you'd like to see my first faltering steps.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 10:25:15 pm »

Nice start John. It's a whole new world in more ways than one... Is that the Sigma or Canon 180mm lens you're using... bet it's a monster. You need to look at getting the aperture much narrower, at these working distances you get bog all DOF, and any and all dirt will show up... it doesn't matter how much you try and clean things...
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:44:40 pm »

Great first trys since I know nothing about macro!
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 11:54:10 pm »

Cheers, John. It's the Canon. It will double as a 288mm f3.5 prime too and with the 1.4 X on I get 404mm  but lose auto, The qualuty of the distance shot is superb. iI's too heavy to hand hold tbh - 2.4 lbs. and this is sited as one of the drawbacks. The flower was at f4.5 and the jack plug f6.3. I've been having a quick read here since I posted them and it seems that because of what you mention yourself I should be using f8 to f11.. I've got more time now the iPod thing is behind me, infact I've just downloaded a podcast on Photography and Macro is one of the 'lectures' I see. As  It's now  on my iPod   I can sit in the sunshine on the patio and listen to it- yes, you may well ask..."what sunshine" Lol.  Any tips would be most welcome.

As John says, Richard, a whole new world. ,you can try it with your macro setting on your camera ,they're quite good and maybe get an extension tube - Kenco. I like this review site.I haven't read this review though. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Kenko-Extension-Tube-Set-Review.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 01:42:06 pm »

Lovely.....the detail in the raindrop is magnificent John  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: