Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 04:07:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Convective Outlook - Ireland & UK - Thurs July 23rd

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Convective Outlook - Ireland & UK - Thurs July 23rd  (Read 406 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2009, 08:32:47 pm »

Storm Forecast Issued: 2009-07-22 19:56:00
Valid: 2009-07-23 00:00:00 - 2009-07-23 23:59:00

Regions Affected
Scotland, Northern England, Midlands, Wales, Southwest England, Northern Ireland, Ireland ( all of the UK is under a WATCH )

Synopsis
An elongated area of LOW pressure situated to the north of/over Northern Scotland will be the dominant feature across the UK on Thursday. Various troughs, fronts and convergence zones within the anticyclonic flow of the LOW pressure will provide a focus for showers and thunderstorms. It is thought that some of the showers will turn increasingly electrical during the afternoon and evening hours, with the most favourable conditions over the southern half of Ireland. Due to the nature of the Polar Maritime airmass, hail can be expected in quite a few showers, with a slight risk of a convergence-type tornado. Slow moving torrential downpours may be responsible for local flash flooding, particularly in those areas under convergence zones with numerous showers persisting one-after-another. A surface LOW is expected to develop over Benelux during the afternoon hours, which, combined with the humid airmass, is likely to develop scattered thunderstorms there which may cluster in the evening hours. Models are still in disagreement to the exact positioning of such storms, and there exists a low risk (less than 25%) of storms possibly affecting the far Southeast. This will need to be monitored during Thursday.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:28:49 pm »

TORRO have a convective dicussion out for us today re storms and tornadoes. Sferics already in NI.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=31635&posts=6&start=1
Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 02:28:26 pm »

tremendous thuderstorm over belfast!!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 03:51:37 pm »

That one passed just north of me, continuous thunder here just rumbeled on and on forever!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
scott86

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 04:32:58 pm »

it was the same here, the lightning was crazy, had never seen such bright, dramatic strikes before, followed by deafening thunder! its passed now but fingers crossed there will be more to come !
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 06:26:40 pm »

Two rumbles of thunder over N Maghera during the early afternoon. Since then, hours of driving around the Lough Neagh area has produced nothing. No solar insolation at all so just messy cloud and rain unfortunately. However, weak towers and large mushy anvils could be seen in the brief gaps.
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 07:11:29 pm »

had a very beefy thunderstorm about two hours ago very nasty looking when it was approaching with quite a gust front and then some hail which was quite big
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
scott86

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 07:37:17 pm »

I would have been expecting some hail myself but got a downpour of epic proportions with gusty winds, dazzling lightning and a nice shelf cloud,, there was some rotation with the scud going in all different directions but nothing lowered down from it. I was very impressed with what i seen overall, today was definately the best storm day i have had this year, i was talking about travelling to a different location but im glad i stuck it out in Belfast! Smiley Now for a walk home in the rain........ Cry
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum