Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:29:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Convective Outlook - Ireland & UK - Wed July 22nd

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Convective Outlook - Ireland & UK - Wed July 22nd  (Read 503 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:31:55 pm »

Storm Forecast Issued: 2009-07-21 21:12:00
Valid: 2009-07-22 00:00:00 - 2009-07-22 23:59:00

Regions Affected
Scotland, Northern Ireland, Cumbria, C + N Ireland (all of the UK, excluding the SE, is included in the WATCH )

Synopsis
LOW pressure anchored to the north of Northern Ireland and west of Scotland will provide numerous showers and thunderstorms embedded along troughs and convergence zones within the Polar Maritime airmass and the anticlockwise flow. Whilst gusty winds will ensure the showers move through fairly quickly, frequent showers are anticipated across Scotland and Northern Ireland, western areas in particular. Hail seems likely in many showers. The thunderstorm risk has been highlighted across Scotland and Northern Ireland as here the environment is likely to be most favourable - it seems further south across England and Wales the cloud heights will be suppressed. However a line of showers is expected from inland areas of the Southwest Peninsula towards the Wash thanks to local convergence zones. Showers and thunderstorms are thought to persist well into the night.

Met Office have a severe weather warning out for all of NI this afternoon.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:19:48 pm »

Thanks for that Martin i think your set up for the creme de la creme yet again good luck send some down here had some pretty heavy rain here last night at about 1 o clock

Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 05:34:19 pm »

It's a bust here at the moment Padraig. I was around the N coast and back but no real convection to speak of. One moderate shower in Maghera on the way home and that was it. A nonsense forecast really, there's heavy showers moving into the SE and E of NI though which might turn thundery. Hopefully Thurs will be better.
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 05:49:14 pm »

Hi Martin ive actually had some good action today skies were crazy looking real supercellular structures around had a very heavy shower just now not thunder though looks like more coming
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 06:58:23 pm »

BBC Newsline was interesting this evening with a discussion about anvils and cbs including a nice c-g image captured from NI yesterday.

So far GFS is showing Thurs as a good storm day. Will wait and see what the experts say.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 11:20:10 pm »

Here's a couple of the GF that hit here earlier.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 11:22:19 pm by John9929 » Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 12:24:32 am »

Very impressive pictrures John, very impressive  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 12:41:20 am »

Thanks Mark, though I would have liked to have been out in the country somewhere. Here's one just off the camera, it was taken with the fisheye lens on.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 12:43:29 am »

Congrat John thats well into the top shelfs caught this year in this country id say you got sume hammering from it

Congrats again
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 12:55:59 am »

Thanks Padraig, as I already said on another thread, when it hit the wind rose and all the windows and doors were banging all over, I was getting a bit worried and thought it was a tornado. The rain was wild for about only 20 minutes then it died. People living about 4 mile from me were dry as a bone! Glad you like the images, it was a monster for sure.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 01:07:33 am »

their great we had a torrential shower today and ahead of it was severe updraft that i have never seen before it was like clouds being lifted off the ground you could see the grass moving distinctivly rotating in the field below underneath id say that was the closest i hav been to seing a funnel or even a tornado in dunno
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum