Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 02:42:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Convective Outlook - Ireland & Scotland - Tues July 21st

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Convective Outlook - Ireland & Scotland - Tues July 21st  (Read 545 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 20, 2009, 11:11:07 pm »

Storm Forecast
Valid: Tue 21 Jul 2009 06:00 to Wed 22 Jul 2009 06:00 UTC
Issued: Mon 20 Jul 2009 22:02
Forecaster: GROENEMEIJER/TUSCHY

SYNOPSIS

A cyclonic vortex is situated over Ireland and the NE-Atlantic. Embedded within a strong southerwesterly wind field at all levels, a number of weak upper-level vorticity maxima should affect parts of western Europe during the forecast period. Ridging downstream moves to the east and keeps most parts of central Europe dry. Another upper trough over NE-Europe causes unsettled conditions with scattered thunderstorms.

Ireland and SW-Scotland ...

Isolated thunderstorms are forecast during the passage of the cold mid-level low. Enhanced divergence at upper levels ought to be present as the left exit of a 60m/s speed maximum at 300hPa approaches from the south. Marginal hail and strong wind gusts are the main hazard within the cold and well-mixed maritime airmass.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 04:26:13 pm »

Active storms moving up west side of Ireland into N. Ireland.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 04:29:03 pm »

TORRO CONVECTIVE DISCUSSION 2009/027

A TORRO CONVECTIVE DISCUSSION has been issued at 14:15GMT on Tuesday 21st July 2009

Valid from/until: 14:15 - 20:00 on Tuesday 21st July 2009 for the following regions of the United Kingdom & Eire:

Eire

N Ireland

THREATS

Isolated tornadoes; hail; gusty winds; CG lightning.

SYNOPSIS

Unstable rPm airmass in place, close to upper cold pool. Shower/thunderstorms are developing in response to insolation. Backed low-level flow to NE of surface low, especially in the north of the area, may help in providing sufficient low-level shear for isolated tornadoes. In addition, cool air aloft brings the chance of marginally severe hail. Gusty winds/CG lightning also expected.

Forecaster: RPK.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 07:35:09 pm »

Heavy convective cloud here (the edge is just about overhead), also the upper cloud movement seems to be from the north whilst the low level cloud & surface wind is from the SSW.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 07:50:24 pm »

Lightning & thunder here Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 08:51:53 pm »

Just in from an amazing evening. We had 5 multicell thunderstorms pass through here producing frequent thunder from 18.00 - 17.30. At least 3 of those storms where flashing away all around me at the same time with pink c-gs and i-c lightning which covered a wide area of sky. The cells themselves were fantastic with huge towering cu and enormorus anvils. Plenty of low level rain free bases begging for attention. The inflow scud at the base of the storms was actually touching and trailing along the Sperrin Mountains. The dark precip curtains looked spectacular in the SW. Quite a show!.
Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 09:23:28 pm »

Glad you got a great show Martin, did you get many pics/images? it was all quiet down here today except for a soaking walking into work and a brief shower this afternoon  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 09:49:16 pm »

Hi Scott, I did inded get pics of the cells and the cool precip curtains etc. Have alot o fimages so will take time to go through them. Took video but only caught the one flash of lightning. I recorded lots of thunder but the wind blowing in the speakers hides it.

Chance of more on Wed and ESTOFEX already have a forecast out for Thurs. Hopefully a few interesting days ahead.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 05:58:29 pm »

We have just been hit by a massive GF something similar to the one in Martin's avatar, with a big double front. I've never seen anything like it before. When it hit the wind rose so much it was banging windows and doors shut as if be suction? I thought I was going to get a tornado! Rain was wild and the temp dropped like a stone. Be on the lookout anybody east of me in Maghaberry.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 06:22:29 pm »

I was just after looking at the Maghaberry area on the radar and seen some very strong signals and thought you would be getting something big. Sounds like a cracker GF!. That's the only action report I've heard from NI today. Surprised there has been no lightning from that one...it might yet has it moves E.
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 06:25:43 pm »

Martin im not kidding i've just a torrential shower here absulutly bucketed down ive never seen anything like it you could here the rain coming it was that heavy i noticed big time updraft the suprising thing was no thunder
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 06:53:34 pm »

Great report Padraig, it sounds like you are getting a good day despite the lack of lightning as far as structures are concerned!

I have just seen something too, no storms, but a black low level line of cloud passed over and underneath was an area of crazy rotation, and I mean really spinning which was amazing, I thought something was going to drop from it..but it didn't. Quite an impressive scene.
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 06:56:59 pm »

ye it was quite something a lot of reports coming on updraft somebody on the irish forum up the road form me said that he observed the same rotation as me
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum