Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 01:14:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Jupiter Animation

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jupiter Animation  (Read 1893 times)
Carl O Beirnes

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2009, 07:55:23 pm »

With Jupiter now starting to climb at our latitudes I set
back up the C14 to take a few images. The seeing conditions where excellent, and we all know that doesn’t happen to often in
this country . The animation is a sequence of thirteen images all with the great red spot clearly visible visible.
Images by Carl O'Beirnes.
Animation by Dave Gradwell.

http://www.webtreatz.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=26&fullsize=1

Carl O'Beirnes,
J09 Balbriggan Observatory
www.webtreatz.com
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O'Beirnes,
Balbriggan Observatory (MPC#J09)
Co Dublin,
Ireland
http://www.webtreatz.com

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 10:33:47 pm »

Wow! , Carl, excellent stuff as always. I very much enjoyed that video. It would be great to try something like that on August 3rd when Jupiter occults a naked eye star in Capricornus.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 03:41:22 am »

Indeed a superb set of images Carl (and testimony to the excellent seeing that you mention) & perfectly animated Dave. Well done both.

Martin, I only heard about the occultation of 45 Capricorni on 3rd August a couple of days ago through this link. I'll try to remember to post it again when I complete the forum calendar for August.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
Carl O Beirnes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 07:37:47 am »

Hi Gentleman,

Thanks very much for the comments. I really hope it's clear on August 3rd. The one problem there might be is the differences in brightness with the exposure time for both  Jupiter & Capricornus. It would make a nice Animation.

Carl O'Beirnes,
www.webtreatz.com
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O'Beirnes,
Co Dublin,
Ireland
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 09:08:07 am »

Really nice animation, I'd be proud of any one of the frames. In fact last night the evening sky looked promising but there was a great deal of stratocumulus around after nightfall, the best skies were to the south but Jupiter was boiling away and imaging was quite obviously pointless. At about 0130 BST the sky partially cleared, then it started raining; continued raining quite hard for about an hour. Examination of the Met Office rader shows only one small shower cloud which seems to have stalled & emptied itself on my location! Back to 7/8 stratocumulus by 0300 by which time the sky was lightening & I quit. Grrr.

The one problem there might be is the differences in brightness with the exposure time for both  Jupiter & Capricornus.
Ummm.... 45 Cap is similar in brightness to Jupiter's Galilean satellites, which show up well enough on "normally exposed" webcam images of Jupiter, so I don't think there will be a significant issue here. Cloud & bad seeing are much more likely "spoilers".
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 09:54:45 am »

Ummm.... 45 Cap is similar in brightness to Jupiter's Galilean satellites, which show up well enough on "normally exposed" webcam images of Jupiter, so I don't think there will be a significant issue here.

Depending on where the Galilean satellites are in relation to Jupiter at the time of the event may lend itself towards a nice little 'sideshow' along side the main event.
Report Spam   Logged

Andy
Carl O Beirnes

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 03:52:25 pm »

Ummm.... 45 Cap is similar in brightness to Jupiter's Galilean satellites, which show up well enough on "normally exposed" webcam images of Jupiter, so I don't think there will be a significant issue here.

Depending on where the Galilean satellites are in relation to Jupiter at the time of the event may lend itself towards a nice little 'sideshow' along side the main event.

Let's hope it's clear on the 3rh.

Thanks very much for all the comments. I would have liked to get more frames put into the Animation but because Jupiter was getting higher so in went the 2" powermate. I'll post some more images as soon as I can get them processed.

Carl O'Beirnes,
www.webtreatz.com 
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O'Beirnes,
Co Dublin,
Ireland
Carl O Beirnes

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 09:16:09 pm »

Hi All,

I got some good news today form Dr Miruna Popescu, of Armagh Observatory.That the Jupiter Animation has been made the featured image of the week on the IYA website .http://www.astronomy2009.ie/ . Just under Anthony Wesley's image am I a happy man yes I am.

Carl O'Beirnes,
J09 Balbriggan Observatory.
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O'Beirnes,
Co Dublin,
Ireland
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 01:02:54 am »

Many congratulations Carl. I think we should all get a signed colour photograph from you now!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Andy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum