Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 01:50:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Convective Outlook - N. Ireland & UK - Tues July 15th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Convective Outlook - N. Ireland & UK - Tues July 15th  (Read 525 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:54:09 am »

Moderate Risk of Scattered Thunderstorms Eire, N.Wales, north UK and Scotland 09Z-21Z

Slight Risk Convergence Funnel Obs Central Scotland 12Z-18Z

A fairly low key outlook today as further thundery showers are likely to develop along the occlusion as the day progresses. Upper cold pool continues to increase lapse rates and potential instability is utilised late afternoon in counties just north of Humber. Some potential for upper support may suggest strong convection likely within the blue box zone.

Strong surface convergence with sliding boundary central Scotland increases risk of the odd funnel/ weak tornado report.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 12:46:58 pm »

1112 j/kg cape, -3 LI for Belfast today!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 12:55:04 pm »

Looking good Scott isn't it. Met Office have a weather warning out for E areas of N. Ireland. Instabiliity will decrease rapidly after 15.00 so hopefully storms will get going before then. Encountered a very heavy shower in Cookstown earlier, thought it was going to go crazy with sparks for a while but it didn't produce.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 03:16:21 pm »

Good thunderstorm passed over E side of Maghera earlier. Plenty of good rumbles and i-c lightning. The convection today is stunning, fabulous anvils and towering cumulus.
Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 03:18:40 pm »

fantastic lightning over belfast, seemns to be a multi cell storm! intense rainfall just to my west!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 06:25:32 pm »

Just in from seeing some great action. A huge storm with a very well defined sculptured updraught base dropped a very nice funnel cloud directly over the NW section of Lough Neagh which lasted for 10-15 min's which seemed like forever at the time. It didn't go down far but was very distinct and the best well defined funnel I have seen this season to date. Would be interested to hear about any other funnel/possible waterspout reports from that area today. I'm sure many people saw it. This was followed by a huge thunderstorm over the Lough from Ballyronan Marina with i-c lightning and nasty loud thunder and heavy rainfall. What an action packed day!.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 06:29:45 pm »

Greg Loyd observed two more large funnel clouds from Lisburn today.
Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 06:33:56 pm »

Do you know what area in lisburn Martin?
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 06:43:57 pm »

Here's his report from the UKWW Scott, hope this helps...

I saw two large funnel clouds today dropping from two different cells in Lisburn. Bit of a fluke really, as I was only out doing the groceries and stuff! Of course it's the usual story - I only had my phone with me at the time so the photos are going to be poor!

The first funnel was viewed from Sprucefield. I'd guess it was at a range of 5 to 10 miles. I spotted the lowering beforehand and continued to watch it form into quite a fat trunk shaped funnel which lasted for about 5 minutes before roping out.

The second funnel was viewed from Tesco's in Lisburn approx 30 minutes later. The second funnel was at a much closer range of approx 1 or two miles. It had already formed by the time I spotted it. A flash of lightning drew my attention to the cell and then I spotted the funnel, which again was a trunk shaped type but was lying almost horizontal. I watched this funnel for about 1 to 2 minutes before it roped out.

I will try and upload the photos from my phone in the next few hours. Not sure if they will look any good though!! From what I can see on the screen of the phone, they look rather small - but in reality these were two large funnels!

An impressive afternoon all in all
Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 06:50:03 pm »

Thanks very much Martin, had a brief storm in Belfast earlier,, it just about bypassed me but still got a good electrical show from to cells side by side to each other! Glad you got a good days action!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum