Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 10:42:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Multicell Storms, Maghera - July 4th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multicell Storms, Maghera - July 4th  (Read 239 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2009, 07:39:51 pm »

Here's a few images from the storms which passed over Maghera on Sat July 4th. The first set (darker images) show the approaching storm which Greg Loyd tipped me off about, Greg photographed this cell from 50 miles distant with a solid back edge and overshooting top and it was heading my way. You can see the gust front/shelf on it as it approached over Slieve Gallion. Below it was an intense precip curtain which was red and white on radar. This dropped a few high quality c-gs with 'gun shot' cracks of thunder. It delivered phenomenal rainfall when it hit which flooded our garden. It was fast moving though and soon cleared with two intense rainbows at the rear with thunder booming which was a surreal experience. The next storm arrived soon after and was a multicell, it produced heavy rain and more thunder and had a huge flanking line at the rear with explosive solid towers which were incredible to watch. A brief rope funnel dropped from this line then retreated, it was so brief that it was gone by the time I got my lens zoomed and focused so I never caught it on camera. All in all, a great evenings action, had those storms been much slower there would have been severe flooding in places. Some of the convection I seen during the evening over the Sperrins was mind blowing and severe looking with solid monster anvils stretching for miles across the sky with mammatus and rock hard flanking lines and overshooting tops. We chased these until sunset but never could get close enough, those cells where MUCH further away than they looked. This season has produced the best convection I have ever seen in my life here, these two bring the count to 14 thunderstorms this year. I suspect the best is yet to come.

Report here...

http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Thunderstorms%20-%20July%204th%2009.html
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 07:41:57 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:40:20 am »

Great images Martin, very intense looking system, great report!.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:56:27 am »

Very nice images martin!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum