Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 01:47:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Wall Cloud - June 6th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Cloud - June 6th  (Read 381 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 06, 2009, 09:10:48 pm »

Here's a few snaps of the wall cloud I oberved this afternoon under a line of cells far away to my SE. Duration 15-20 min's with dynamic motion, at one stage almost touching the ground.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 10:43:10 pm »

Nice set of images Martin.  Wall clouds are actually quite common when you know what you're looking for Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 11:47:54 pm »

Thanks Mark, they are fairly common under storms and cells but not very common at the same time. I've only seen 2, perhaps 3 wall clouds from the 14 thunderstorms I have seen this year. A rotating wall cloud is much more rare...been a while since I've seen one of those.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 08:17:45 am »

Nice shots Martin... what makes a wall cloud ?
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 06:47:15 pm »

I'm not sure I'd call it a wall cloud, I would say lowerings are common, but a wall cloud to me is a blocky lowering about half way to the ground from the cloud base. I almost want to call a wall cloud a rotating lowering in the updraft now that I've seen a few better ones this season...Lol nevermind me, there is no official definition, its just people in the US call anything a wall cloud nowadays. Yours is a definate lowering in the base, thus most (chasers) would call it a wall cloud. Good eye to catch that tho.

It's just weird to see the difference of storms in the uk and us, cause your storms can spin up randomly and produce with real low tops. Now I'm done babbling.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 07:45:37 pm »

Thanks for your input Tyler. Yes it's amazing the difference with the UK low topped storms compared with the US monsters, the biggest storms I seen here in early June had tops just over 40,000 ft high which is pretty awesome by UK standards, the one which hit Maghera on Sat had an overshooter which tapped into the stratosphere for a time so would have been a severe cell. These are probably tame in comparison to what you get Tyler lol, I could imagine with your temps and instability that your storms must be huge with high troposphere heights. The storms here can indeed spin up very rapidly and on occasion last for hours, but they don't have the life of your mega supercells....oh, how I would love to see one of those!!!  Smiley. Thanks for the comments Tyler.

John, cheers, wall clouds are an abrupt lowering which form under the base (rain free base) of the storm at the inflow region. They can be rotating or non rotating and mark the location where a funnel or tornado might drop. They are caused by water droplets near the precip area condensing into cloud/scud which then organize into a lowering. They often exhibt rapid motions upward into the cell. Hope this helps.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum