Astronomy, Photography and Weather
January 20, 2020, 10:03:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

FAO John Murphy

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FAO John Murphy  (Read 256 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2009, 08:36:22 pm »

John, you mentioned about the Canon  100-400mm IS recently. They aren't making the high prices on E.Bay. One is on now for 'buy now'  at  970 (Jessops is about 1380) and it's going nowhere but one has gone at 770 and another  at 772.

Brian.. there's a 500mm f4 IS  on there at 2000 with 2 days 19 hours to go.. You have to wonder about a second hand lens at those prices. Would you entertain it ? I mean paying that and it will be more as the bidding goes on I would guess or would you place safe and get it new ?
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 08:58:21 pm »

You have to wonder about a second hand lens at those prices.
I would wonder why anyone is selling the thing on eBay - the best way to sell a really expensive lens like that is as a commission deal with Ffordes (or one of the other big names) - buying from firms like that is safe, too, because they offer guarantees. BTW the street price of a 500mm f/4L IS is around 5.5K so I'd expect to have to pay 3.5K to 4K to get a decent s/h example.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 10:03:12 pm »

Cheers for that, Brian. I hope they will all come back down when the strengthens. It dived to 124 in January when Canon et al announced 15% price rises but now it''s weakened and/or the has strengthened considerably but the lens prices have remained high. I'm sure the exchange rate that mattered was the yen as they are Japanese made.

http://www.exchange-rates.org/history/JPY/GBP/G
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:17:12 pm »

I googled Ffordes and here was one forum Q & A. Top quality company as you say.   No 500's.

http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00S8w3

..and a few prices    https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:23:57 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged
JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 09:45:27 pm »

Thanks for the heads up John.
Unfortunately it may be some time before I can spend any more on camera kit. The new 500D will have to keep me going for a while, and I'll just have to milk the Sigma 70-300 for all she's worth.
Still, I'm giving up the smokes and will pay myself the equivalent every month I don't smoke. This way I should have enogh to get a well decent lens next year.
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:39:52 pm »

Well done on giving up the smokes   Wink  By next year,  maybe the exchange rate hike will have come back to previous levels.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 12:22:54 am »

Whatever happens, by this time next year I'm definitely looking at either a Sigma 150-500 OS or a Canon 100-400 L IS lens in my bag - Oh Joy Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum