Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 12:47:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A few from our hols in Florida

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A few from our hols in Florida  (Read 484 times)
stuart2588

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2009, 08:56:00 pm »

Hey all

We are not long back from our hols to New York and Florida.

Here are some pics I managed to get while out there.

This first one is on approach to Newark airport just outside New York.

This is a view from the Empire State Building taken by my bro as I am not too good with the heights.

This was taken from 34000ft in alot of turbulance on our way from New York to Tampa Florida.

These next few are of a thunderstorm that drifted up Tampa Bay at 745am. That is The Tampa Skyway Bridge in the distance. It is something like 18 storeys tall.

At this stage my bro and I decided to go a walk down to the bay front to see if we could get some more pics. This is the Anna Maria local pier. It is a restaurant at the end with fishermen fishing for sharks.

One of the fishermen told us that there had been a waterspout in the bay the day before and pointed out this wall type cloud lowering. There was alot of wind being sucked into the storm at this point and a mini funnel looked like it was trying to form.

Here is one of a sunset to the north of the island on a place called Bean Point.

Here is a pic of a dolphin playing right in front of us. On this particualar morning we decided to get up for sunrise to watch this fish feeding. (Sharks are frequently spotted at this time.) We were sitting at the end of the pier that I photographed above, when this dolphin decided to give us a free show. The local fishermen were all laughing at us snapping away with the camera. The dolphin jumped 4 or 5 times.

Caught this one on another pier. This was incredible to watch. They dive bomb for fish. They certainly could give the local fishermen a lesson or two.

On this night we decided to drive to a place called St Armands Circle in Sarasota. We spotted this car which is $1,150,000!! There were houses for sale in this area for $53 million.

These last 3 were taken in Orlando Florida. We were in Downtown Disney when this huge storm arrived. ( This was the thunderstorm that delayed Nasa launching the shuttle). It lasted at least 4 hours and we were totally soaked running to get the car. The roads were like mini streams at one point. But the drainage systems were incredible. The water dissapeared instantly. The lpcal weather channel had said that this storm produced over 5200 lightning strikes. I have got some video of lightning that I will have to post up. My brother also got some nice pics.

All in all this was an amazin hol! I want to go back lol

Stu
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:33:19 pm by stuart2588 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 09:14:20 pm »

Great shots Stuart! I especially like #7 - the one with the pier and the storm behind it. Now tell me you also went to the Kennedy Space Center!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 09:46:06 pm »

Stuart, those are crackers!!, excellent storm shots and what a neat looking shelf cloud with 'teeth'. The shot with the shelf and pier is an absolute winner. Thanks very much for sharing them  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 09:56:48 pm »

Great images Stuart. Love all the shelf cloud photos, especially the one behind the pier. As Paul mentioned, did you get to KSC? You were this close!!
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 11:27:01 pm »

Great set of shots Stuart, that Pier and storm cloud for me too.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 10:39:14 am »

Wonderful photos. Loved them. No. 2 is a cracker. You wouldn't get me up there either  Stuart, let alone taking a photo.   Grin

What I like about these ,too is  the variety. We want to go therefor a hol (mainly so I can see the TS's lol)

Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 01:06:56 pm »

Excellent report Stuart!  Smiley US have great weather as always!  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
stuart2588

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 12:00:37 pm »

Thanks for all the kind replies guys! We had planned to drive down to the space centre through the night to catch the launch of the shuttle, but when we got back in after that huge storm we watched the weather channel all evening and found out that they had cancelled the misson.

Florida is an amazing place. There is so much to do. I love it!

Stu
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum