Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 03:14:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Convective Outlook - Ireland & UK - Tues June 23rd

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Convective Outlook - Ireland & UK - Tues June 23rd  (Read 274 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:17:20 pm »

Moderate Risk of Thundery Showers Tues 23rd June 09 Ireland, Wales, NW UK & SW Scotland 15Z-21Z

Whilst the risk of thundery convection would seem more likely for Tues by comparison to Mondays results, the risk of any severe weather event looks fairly stunted once again.

GFS push for much better moisture and surface temps within the specified regions. These are reflected in the predicted high CAPE values. Though, ultimately there are some uncertainties as to how much influence the high pressure to the NE will effect the days outcome. It is reasonable to expect some rather shallow convection within building convergence zones. Mid level dry air looks to maintain fairly low humidity profile throughout the day increasing potential instability at mid levels. Weak shear at all levels and poor upper lapse rates may limit IMO the level of sferic activity. Convection looks to become rather sporadic and should remain fairly isolated.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:19:09 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 01:23:17 pm »

TORRO now have a risk of funnels/tornadoes today....

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=30930&posts=9&mid=451376#M451376
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:12:57 pm »

Not much in the way of convection here, just a bit of fair weather cumulus - a nice change from the stratus which has been hanging around for a couple of days. Mind you the sun is strong & the air is still very humid.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 02:55:00 pm »

Out of my area - just - and  I don't think it's worth chasing over to Wales - as someone mentioned on UKww the high pressure is going to keep things a bit quiet I think BUT Friday's the day for us so I will be geared up ready for Friday. My neighbour will take my phone calls and  look at the radar and tell me where to go, let' hope it works ok- having someone on the end of a phone will be a first for me.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 03:46:13 pm »

Convection is rubbish here, strongly capped and mushy, can't see anything happening here today. My goodness, it is hot and dangerous though!.

Jonh C, I checked the charts ahead into next week and if they are to believed then Britain is in for a serious show with severe thunderstorms, CAPE values of 1800-1900 and LI of -6, I have never seen anything like that before.  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum