Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 06:13:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

FAO John Murphy

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FAO John Murphy  (Read 481 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2009, 08:36:22 pm »

John, you mentioned about the Canon  100-400mm IS recently. They aren't making the high prices on E.Bay. One is on now for 'buy now'  at  £970 (Jessops is about £1380) and it's going nowhere but one has gone at £770 and another  at £772.

Brian.. there's a 500mm f4 IS  on there at £2000 with 2 days 19 hours to go.. You have to wonder about a second hand lens at those prices. Would you entertain it ? I mean paying that and it will be more as the bidding goes on I would guess or would you place safe and get it new ?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 08:58:21 pm »

You have to wonder about a second hand lens at those prices.
I would wonder why anyone is selling the thing on eBay - the best way to sell a really expensive lens like that is as a commission deal with Ffordes (or one of the other big names) - buying from firms like that is safe, too, because they offer guarantees. BTW the street price of a 500mm f/4L IS is around £5.5K so I'd expect to have to pay £3.5K to £4K to get a decent s/h example.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 10:03:12 pm »

Cheers for that, Brian. I hope they will all come back down when the £ strengthens. It dived to 124 in January when Canon et al announced 15% price rises but now it''s weakened and/or the £ has strengthened considerably but the lens prices have remained high. I'm sure the exchange rate that mattered was the yen as they are Japanese made.

http://www.exchange-rates.org/history/JPY/GBP/G
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:17:12 pm »

I googled Ffordes and here was one forum Q & A. Top quality company as you say.   No 500's.

http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00S8w3

..and a few prices    https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:23:57 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged
JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 09:45:27 pm »

Thanks for the heads up John.
Unfortunately it may be some time before I can spend any more on camera kit. The new 500D will have to keep me going for a while, and I'll just have to milk the Sigma 70-300 for all she's worth.
Still, I'm giving up the smokes and will pay myself the equivalent every month I don't smoke. This way I should have enogh to get a well decent lens next year.
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:39:52 pm »

Well done on giving up the smokes   Wink  By next year,  maybe the exchange rate hike will have come back to previous levels.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 12:22:54 am »

Whatever happens, by this time next year I'm definitely looking at either a Sigma 150-500 OS or a Canon 100-400 L IS lens in my bag - Oh Joy Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum