Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 07:18:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Animation software

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Animation software  (Read 222 times)
brianb

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2009, 07:13:11 pm »

Hi,

What are the options if trying to create an animated image from a timelapse series? It present I'm making animated GIF but this is far from ideal, the subtlety in the colours is destroyed by redicung to GIF palette (256 colours total) & the lack of compression makes for a large file. Any ideas - preferably using open source software?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 07:35:18 pm »

I use a video editor - specifically Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0. This is of course very definitely not Open Source. The same job can be done with a bit more difficulty with http://www.virtualdub.org/ which was originally developed for that purpose, but has expanded into other fields. I think you'll have to get all the frames the right size and shape and bolt them all together in the application, then get your output codec from elsewhere - I tend to use Windows Media 720p, but there are DivX versions which are OS.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum