Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 04:19:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Taped Contacts - 1.4 X

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taped Contacts - 1.4 X  (Read 687 times)
brianb

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2009, 11:44:02 pm »

Ummm, it doesn't make the lens a stop faster, it just means the camera believes the lens to be a stop faster.

Similar things happen when you stack tele-extenders - if I use both 1.4x & 2x extenders on a f/2.8 lens the camera believes the lens to be working at f/5.6 rather than at f/8, the autofocus "functions" but is slow & inaccurate. Switching to manual focus is a big improvement - for me - but then I'm not chasing objects which vary their distance significantly. But the biggest problem with stacking extenders is that the 1.4x has to go next to the camera, put them the other way round and the mount on the 2x hits the glass in the 1.4x and will mark it.

I know of one "pro" who regularly uses two 2x extenders and apparently gets acceptable AF performance, but he's using 1 series bodies which have significantly better AF sensors than the cheaper versions.

You need to be really careful with taping over contacts; if you get the tape too thick the contacts in the body can be displaced so that they don't make proper contact when you would like them to, you will them probably get "error 99" or "error 1" and the camera will lock up when you try to fire the shutter.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum