Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:11:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Heart & Soul nebulae & mighty Jupiter

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Heart & Soul nebulae & mighty Jupiter  (Read 284 times)
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2009, 05:15:38 am »

Thought I'd better make the most of the night just gone as I don't think that the cloud gods are due to smile on me tonight!

This is an image of 23, 210 secs each, subs (also darks & flats) taken with a 135mm lens and my Kenko 'Halpha' filter, mounted on my beloved AstroTrac. IC1848, known as the Soul nebula, is to the left and IC1805, the Heart, to the right.

While my timer remote was taking the exposures, I had my first view of M31 for the 'new season' through my 10X50 binoculars. Granted M31 was low in a twilight sky, viewed from the middle of a city, but I can appreciate newcomers who feel disappointed by this 'smudge' after seeing such glossy images of it in magazines & on the web.

Far more impressive in the still of the night was the King of planets, Jupiter. While my AT was imaging the Heart & Soul, I set up my second tripod & took the snap below with my compact Canon digital. I think the view from my garden looks quite good (especially as the image is cropped so as not to show the 10ft-tall weeds)!  Grin

Just a short time ago I had a last look out to see the crescent Moon with Venus lower down and to the right (south). The sky was far too bright by this time for me to have any hope of picking out Mars.

Definitely another very enjoyable night.  Smiley

Heart and Soul nebulae.

Jupiter rising in the southeast (as seen from my back garden & taken at around 2am).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 05:17:23 am by Big Dipper » Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 04:36:20 pm »

Very nice captures John. Your sky must be alot darker than up here to pick up that wonderful nebula. Love the image with Jupiter before dawn, it's getting really eye-catching these mornings.
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 06:40:29 pm »

Very nice captures John.
Thanks Paul.  Wink

I think the light pollution masks the effect of the bright sky at this time of year to some effect.

I don't normally bother with scenic planet views, but the sight of Jupiter rising in the silence of the morning really captured my attention - hence the image.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum