Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 11:20:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Convective Outlook - Ireland & UK - Thurs June 18th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Convective Outlook - Ireland & UK - Thurs June 18th  (Read 223 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: June 17, 2009, 06:24:07 pm »

Storm Forecast Issued: 2009-06-17 16:00:00
Valid: 2009-06-18 00:00:00 - 2009-06-18 23:59:00

Regions Affected
Northwest, West & Southwest Scotland, Northern Ireland and parts of Ireland ( all of Scotland & Ireland, and parts of Northern England and Northwest Wales are included in the WATCH )

Synopsis
An unstable and cool airflow affects the UK during Thursday as a cold front exits into the nearby continent. The Azores High extends into southern areas of the UK, whilst an area of Low pressure centred between the Faroe Islands and Iceland dominates the weather across northern UK. Numerous showers are expected to affect much of Scotland & Northern Ireland and northern and western parts of Ireland & Northern England during the day. Some of the showers are expected to be heavy with hail likely, and also occasional thunder and lightning, especially where the showers are most frequent (in the areas highlighted on the map). Strong winds, gusting to Gale force at times, will ensure any showers move quickly, and therefore the risk flash flooding seems minimal. However the showers will be very frequent across western upslopes in particular. The showers will move further south during the evening and overnight, possibly affecting parts of north and west Wales, whilst also advancing southwards down the North Sea. Showers should become increasingly confined to the coasts overnight.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 12:31:31 pm »

TORRO has a tornado watch out for N. Ireland today!

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=30874&posts=1

A squall line passed through during this morning causing some storms.
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 01:32:14 pm »

Thanks for the posts as always Martin. I enjoy reading them. The first post looks typical for UK & Ireland!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 02:04:27 pm »

No problem at all Andy, it's always worth putting these forecasts up because there are alot of people interested in this sort of thing. Today is wild here, the fasest moving gust front I ever seen passed over here not so long ago, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a tornado today somewhere.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 02:50:21 pm »

And typically in direct contrast, the weather in Oxford is very bland & overcast - though tonight is predicted to be clear (which I won't complain about)!

One of the things that used to attract me to the Highlands when I owned a car was the 'wild' weather and the way that it complemented the ever-much-more interesting scenery up there.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum