Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 03:50:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Turbulent weather

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Turbulent weather  (Read 288 times)
rjgjr
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:41:51 am »

Living where I do on the Oregon Coast, I don't get to enjoy (if that's the correct word) the thunderstorms and extreme weather that others do on occasion. I went way back in my scanned files and found this image I took in Carlsbad, New Mexico in July 1991. We had been under tornado warnings most the afternoon traveling west from central Texas and I remember catching this shot standing outside our motel room at sunset. We did have some real thunder boomers that night.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:39:50 pm »

What an incredible sight Richard!!, gorgeous image and what a severe looking anvil. No wonder you had tornado warnings. Thanks for posting that stunner  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 04:33:09 pm »

That's a real stunner Richard. Up to yesterday I know how you felt about missing out on T-storms compared to others here with more interesting weather.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:18:41 pm »

It's not a  too dissimilar structure to one I had last year ,Richard. It has the same ribbing but more defined. I don't remember which State we were in but it was June last year and that's reminded me to be a lot more precise in logging where we are in relation to my photos but we go hither and thither one State into another back out and in again and I don't like to keep asking..but I will, next year  Smiley

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 10:20:12 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 10:40:40 pm »

That's a very interesting shot John, reminds me of the body of a snake. I'm sure when storm chasing, in and out of the panhanles of Texas and Okalahoma, locations and directions can change very quickly. I'm sure no one would mind you asking "where the heck are we?"
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 11:04:23 pm »

Yes, you're right. It was in those locations  particularly,  the  TX and OK  panhandles where I asked if were were in one or the other only to be told 'the other' .lol. I rarely got it right.  But I'm with Tempest again next year and the two guides  we had last year,  Bill Reid and Brian  Morganti are very helpful and friendly  guys..

I have a map of OK but not TX so I'll make sure I get TX and a few more..it's May 10th. next year. Instead of trying to get them here I'll wait and get them at the first gas stations we pull into to. The motels have them free too, I'll be starting off from OKC again. We saw very little this year but on the way into OKC we flew above hundreds of miniature Cu turrets - I should have had the camera to hand but by then I was frazzled with changing flights at Chicago O'Hare- a nightmare of a place.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum