Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 01:25:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A few garden birds.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A few garden birds.  (Read 308 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2009, 08:50:50 pm »

Ok. must be honest here. These birds were sitting on the feeder but I gave them natural wood perches to sit on so the poor souls don't have to put up with swinging around on an unsecured feeder. I can isolate them from the feeders. I sit in the summer house-10paces away. There's a feeding station 30 miles away in the Forest of Dean but photographers have feeders there too and scatter seed around and set up 'logs' and photograph the waiting birds rather than those on the feeders so it's really one step removed from what I've done here. Apparently it's not the done thing to take photos of birds on feeders(say the purists) but they almost do it in the Forest-Some of those guys must be profs. because they have  600mm lenses and all the camouflage gear and sit in their cars and rest the lenses on beanbags on the open windows. I mean it's hard to just go into the countryside and hope you see them. I get a lot of entertainment watching them here at home. Yesterday a young sparrow, believe it or not ,considering it's size,took umbridge to the presence of a pigeon and pecked the pigeon's tail and the pigeon turned round and tried to beak the sparrow but the sparrow was too fast in flying up.lol. also, I saw a sparrow, maybe the same bold one, actually peck the head of a much larger juv. starling (one pictured here) as the starling was eating fat (fat balls)  The starling jutted it's beak towards the sparrow but the sparrow was away. lol. My neighbour was testing his 5D 11 video and we were able to watch it much more closely because live it's over in  a trice. it's wonderful to get an insight into their world.

I'm wondering if the first Tit is infact a Blue Tit - look at the difference between it and the definite Great Tit the last one..- both youngsters- we have a Great Tit nest next door but on and they've been coming from there but it  looks like a well fed canary with all that yellow.lol

The bokeh  in no. 2 is coming from the gable wall of a house behind us 3 doors away- two semis a large gap and this brick wall.

Juvenile starling. 400mm f5.6 1/125 sec. ISO 200

Juv. Great /Blue Tit .400mm f5.6 1/200 ISO 200

400mm 1/320 f5.6 ISO 250

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 08:52:52 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 10:48:19 pm »

Just been told that  they are both Blue ****. Blue **** have the stripe through the eye and Great **** don't. The first one is, as it looks, a juvenile and the second one is an adult and that ls how they get (scruffy)  when they spend so much time getting food and looking after their young. I'll have to take them back into PS and change the text. I'm not a birder but i like to photograph them. The first one looks like a young female blackbird but it's definitely a young starling , I checked that out  too with my birding friend.
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:06:32 am »

Good shots John, I was gonna say they both look blue to me. Yes, a young Starling, no mistaking that point to the beak and eyes...
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
vaunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 03:04:05 pm »

Great pics. I love the quality and ditales.
Definitly blue.
Report Spam   Logged

http://www.vaunce.tv  view and share videos
http://www.vaunce.com classifieds: jobs, personal, for sale
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum