Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 01:37:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Severe T-Storm Potential - Ireland/UK - Sat-Mon June 13th-15th

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Severe T-Storm Potential - Ireland/UK - Sat-Mon June 13th-15th  (Read 4352 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2009, 01:18:17 pm »

Sky looks like it's ready to explode here!. Incredible updraughts everywhere, some of which are leaning over at a sharp angle due to wind shear. Observed obvious rotation under a cell not too long ago. The clouds were swirling around in spectacular fashion. Sky is very dark here to the SE.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2009, 02:40:48 pm »

Very little sun here - loads & loads of thick high cloud all morning, then about 5-10 mins of decent sunshine before a nasty cunim moved in, it's been parked overhead for the last half hour, loads of thunder rumbles & one brief interruption in power supply but just light rain (with big drops) so far. There was a decent SW breeze earlier but that's died to nothing.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2009, 04:02:04 pm »

Two thunderstorms so far here. The first was in the distant NE booming away and very low to the ground with interesting lowerings trying to touch down with long flanking line. This was preceeded by an intense rain and hail shower.

Storm two arrived over Slieve Gallion and the Sperrins, actually two storms merged together with huge twil anvils with mammatus. The storm had a lovely shelf cloud and structured updraught base. Although it was not as electrically active as Saturday's it was the most photogenic structure of the last two days. It's dropping dangerous blue-coloured c-gs and still booming in the distance. Lovely!. Looks like the day is not over yet either.

The updraughts around today are incredible...the real deal  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2009, 04:06:45 pm »

I bet there are storms in the vicinity of Maghaberry...or to the W of it. I bet John is away out in the car  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2009, 05:27:28 pm »

As it happens Martin not even a rumble here Roll Eyes 0ne or two nice dark clouds though but when they got here what a disappointment, some rain only! Still the evening's not over yet. Here's a nice mushroom type I got yesterday evening.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2009, 05:31:40 pm »

Nice mushroom top on that cell John.

Amazing they missed you, there where storms to the W and E of your area and further N. Not over yet though, high instability remains with us for the rest of evening. Then there's more for Monday.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2009, 06:06:51 pm »

John, there are big showers and storms moving up towards you. One cluster is to your SW and the other further S. They might approach your area if they continue moving NE. They are red on radar. Worth keeping an eye on.

Sun is back out here after heavy rain. Convection visible again with huge anvils in the S and mammatus. There could be a few more storms yet this evening.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2009, 06:17:23 pm »

There are storms to the N and SE of Lough Neagh.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2009, 07:46:59 pm »

Sun is back out here after heavy rain.
Lucky you, solid mid level overcast here. I hope it doesn't do what it did last night - threatening to clear suckered me into setting up but yielded no observing opportunities. I think the problem is that the mid/upper atmosphere is well saturated. Not as much thunder here as yesterday but oppressive feeling continues.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2009, 09:00:09 pm »

...I hope you get it clear tonight Brian.

I have just seen the most incredible sight this evening which has thrilled me beyond words as a person who wants to see good storm structure. I noticed strong cells and sferics on the radar moving up towards Lough Neagh. Since this is a spot we visit on a semi regular basis, my Mum and I took our dog up to visit the Lough for a walk, I was thinking there may have been a chance of catching a storm. We did, the storm had the most stunning shelf cloud I have ever seen, and always wanted to see, like something from the US. Some may argue this point, but it was the best shelf I have ever seen in comparison to other images and video from the UK. It was absolutely stunning!!!. It look up the entire skyline with solid double-stacked rolls reaching an incredible height with a bright horizontal division splitting it into two sections. All along the mid section was linear formations including lenticular type waves with variours colours among the white structure. At bottom was a thick lip running its entire length like a window sill. Below was a dense GREEN curtain of precip from which lightning flickered away from within, when this happened the precip lit up bright green. The lightning was impressive, mainly pink in colour with i-c and c-g bolts, at least three at a single time with angry thunder. The entire structure was both awesome and frightening as it approached very low to the ground with a nice curved feature on one side. It produced a great storm and torrential rain which flooded some of the road sides in the Ballyronan area. This was a sight I have always wanted to see, I never knew such an fabulous shelf cloud be seen in this country. At first, gettting images and video was a nightmare due to trees and hedges but we pulled over at a lay by and let it pass over us as in dramatic fashion. Have some images and video but they don't do it justice. The only thing missing was a tornado!. What an end to the day - that's 6 storms over the weekend. 2009 has been a great season so far!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2009, 09:20:19 pm »

I forgot to mention one thing which impressed me just as much as the shelf. The anvil (perhaps several) was blown down-wind ahead of the main body of the storm, this anvil was so large that I could see it from Maghera forming an overcast sky, it was only when looking over Slieve Gallion, and towards Ballyronan (while on the road) that I could see it connected to that huge storm. I have never seen an anvil canopy so big before, it was similar to what Conor was telling about the storms in Australia. Conor told me about how the sky just turned overcast long before the storm arrives in Oz due to the large anvil...it was just like that.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2009, 09:48:11 pm »

Are you going to post the photos/video, Martin ?.. even if you don't think they do them justice.

We are due TS's tomorrow mid-day in tho the afternoon. I may have to travel a little  south west or NW into Herefordshire/East Wales.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2009, 09:58:58 pm »

Hey John, I will in due course, I have two days worth of images and video to go through and I'm knackered. Mon might be another storm say so I will wait until it is over before going througn everything. I could do with some rest, there will probably be a big NLC display tonight too...I wish I was getting paid for this lol. Anyway, what a great weekend of storms. Good luck on Mon John.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2009, 09:59:49 pm »

Outlook for Mon from Tony Gilbert.

Moderate Risk of Thundery Showers UK & Ireland 0900Z-2359Z Mon 14th June 09

Further Scattered thundery showers expected through Monday as strong instability spreads across the UK & Ireland. Once again we have a very weakly sheared vertical profile limiting the risk of any severe weather event. Though it is noted that both Ireland & the UK show sharp convergence boundaries  where some funnel report may come to light.

ATM I only see one region where potential instability is enhanced by mid level dry air.(As per yellow box)

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2009, 10:46:42 pm »

Louise got a pic of that shelf cloud...

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=30776&posts=7#M448934

Pity about the houses but it shows how large it was!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum