Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 01:23:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Severe T-Storm Potential - Ireland/UK - Sat-Mon June 13th-15th

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Severe T-Storm Potential - Ireland/UK - Sat-Mon June 13th-15th  (Read 4342 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2009, 02:34:18 pm »

I'm getting excited  Smiley
Good luck.  Smiley
I see ESTOFEX forecasts something for Ireland & Scotland for tomorrow too...
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2009, 02:35:17 pm »

Good thunderstorm here with strong inflow!, loud thunder too.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2009, 03:02:37 pm »

Sounds like you folkd are having some fun with the weather!  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2009, 05:20:52 pm »

just semi clear skies with some cumulus floating around down in the lisburn area  Sad  fingers crossed we might get something later.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2009, 08:19:33 pm »

What a day! I'm completely soaked as I write this. First of I seen a decent thunderstorm in Maghera during the early afternoon with strong inflow and blue i-c and occasional c-gs with loud thunder.

After this I was outside Draperstown where I saw a brief funnel cloud below a towering cu, it was the real mc coy, no question about that, but far away from the ground. I got some very poor snaps because the car was bouncing like crazy along the rough country roads leading up to the mountains. Seeing anything from NI roads is a nightmare with all the trees and hedges.

Next I was on top of Slieve Gallion where I saw a powerful cell on the E side of Lough Neagh with long flanking line, it was rock solid and seemed to be a serious cb with over shooting top. From the same location I observed t-storm number two far away to the NW dropping blue c-gs in the distance.

Before 19.00 back in Maghera we had the most almighty thunderstorm, the very best of the year so far with intense rain and some hail. The entire W sky was black as night with the storm announcing itself with a solid shelf cloud like something from the US. The storm produced almost continuous lightning for over one hour with three and even four blue-coloured bolts at the same time with the odd c-g thown into the mix. The thunder was frightening!. I was in a field this time trying to get video which wasn't very successful due to the rain but during the process I had an experience which I shall never forget which scared the life out of me. A sheep was hundred yards to my left, a flash of nasty lightning erupted above me, I instinctively took cover then glanced back at the sheep....it was stone dead, it had got killed instantly by a bolt of lightning!!. It was a horrible sight to see but what made it even worse was that it could have been me, someone was watching over me today!

So, a brillant day of storms, haven't a decent image from the lot but will post I have in due course along with some video.

Here's the sferics from that massive evening storm...

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2009, 08:27:54 pm »

Sunday's outlook from Tony Gilbert....

6pm Sat

Slight Risk of Scattered Thundery Showers Ireland, Scotland, Central and northern UK. 09Z-21Z Sun 14th June 09

Once again a rather low risk outlook with a good probability of widespread thundery showers. Filling quasi stationary low just west of Ireland continues to push further surface fronts across the UK & Ireland during Sunday. Upper cold pool remains in place and sustains a moderate lapse rate as surface heating once again gets under way. A weak shear profile all but precludes any suggestion of severe weather. Though some reference is given to the risk of some late troughing N.Wales. Where a mid level dry incursion runs through on 30kt winds at 500 mb.

Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2009, 08:30:17 pm »

Some people get all the luck!

Not much to report here, solid overcast with rumbles of thunder since early afternoon, a few flashes of lightning around 17:10 BST and a heavy shower, it's now raining lightly but steadily and has been for over two hours.
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2009, 09:12:25 pm »

As usual I'm missing out on the T-storms. Thin cloud but dry. Metcheck forecasting sun here for tomorrow.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2009, 10:45:07 pm »

I thought your area looked very active today Brian  Smiley

Anybody get any images today?

Here's a few of a large cell during the first storm of the day over Maghera. Pic 1 is the updraught region feeding into the back of a powerful cell, it even looks slightly twisted. The cell was so large I could only image that one area. Pic 2 shows the rear side of the anvil and pic 3 the top of the rock solid anvil at the zenith, which I just found out peaked at 32,000ft high.

Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2009, 11:19:27 pm »

These were taken from the top of the hill above Aghalee shortly after 19:00BST. I guess this is your storm Martin, but from a safe distance! I saw this guy coming in and drove to this spot where I could see it coming over the lough. When it got here there was not much in the way of rain, but when I took the images the wind nearly blew me off my feet. The road on the way back home was littered with loose leaves and branches, and after it passed everything calmed down again. I got a few other images today as well but these are the more interesting. No thunder though!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 11:26:07 pm by John9929 » Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2009, 11:40:24 pm »

I thought your area looked very active today Brian 
Maybe so but very little to see - just an amorphous black cloud parked overhead. Rumbles of thunder at intervals from early afternoon well into the evening (2000). One burst of thundery rain lasting 10-15 minutes, rainfall approx. 10mm judging from water collecting in containers but my guess is that most of that fell in steady rain which persisted for 4-5 hours. Not a breath of wind all afternoon, not even a mild squall let alone any tornadoes.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2009, 11:45:26 pm »

That's the uninteresting kind of storm isn't it with just a blanket of cloud. All the cbs must have been hidden by mid level cloud, pity, that often hides the very nice structure. Maybe see something better on Sunday.

Very nice images John, that sure looks like the Maghera storm when it moved further E or NE, bit of shelf on it too. I'm amazed you got no mad lightning, could it be the same storm?. We must compare times, it hit here before 19.00, I could still hear distant rumbling around 20.30 when it was in the E or NE. Would this match up John?

Thanks for sharing the images  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2009, 12:04:58 am »

Martin the times of the images are from T to B, 19:45BST, 19:46BST and 19:39BST. HTH's.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2009, 10:28:31 am »

Here's a few of a large cell during the first storm of the day over Maghera.
Impressive clouds there, Martin  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2009, 11:42:06 am »

Thanks Roman  Smiley

Cheers for the times John, that sure was the same storm, no doubt about that one.

Netweather say there's a convergence zone of NI today witha chance of funnels/weak tornadoes, there's a strong area over the NW coast. Met Office have another warning out today for all of NI for flash flooding hail and thunder.

Convective updraughts are exploding up here already with a few anvils around. Hot Sun too. It's all looking good.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum