Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 09:25:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Wildfowl - Frampton

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wildfowl - Frampton  (Read 333 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:55:26 pm »

On a recent visit to Slimbridge Wildfowl Trust (9 miles away) I was told about the Frampton clay/gravel pits. That didn't sound very inviting but I went and they aren't my idea of gravel pits atall, they're  very large lakes.  I eventually found my way to one side of the longest lake.  Please bear with me as this is the first   time I've tried to photograph flying swans and geese...and dragonflies. Can you imagine trying to photograph a hovering dragonfly  with a heavy (3.1 lbs) 100-400 lens and the lens on manual, turning it  to keep the beastie in focus as it  flittered here and there..mainly there.  A kingfisher obligingly flew from a nearby tree and sat on the protective fence around the sapling out in the open . A friend has told me that the reason it's  'soft' -out of focus I thought - was the heat haze. He could see it's shimmer and he said he has the same problems when digiscoping. Mmmm. I'm not so sure. I had the red centre focus point on the bird but it was so small the red focus point veered  onto to the post - anyway as I left I went the wrong way back to the car and happened to go too close to the Manor house whereupon the Lady of the Manor came out of it like a  trap door spider about to pounce upon prey and asked in a very 'english' tone, "Excuse me, do  you have to have permission to photograph and you're on private property, the public footpath is over there." ...sorry ma'mm. Lol.. I asked her if I had to have permission to photograph the ducks , swans and geese..."er...no".she said, in a lowered tone, I couldn't help myself..I said, "You see your first question should have asked was,  'what are you photographing ?' or "are you photographing the Manor house and grounds  ?" That didn't go down atall well and she merely reminded me that I was on private land and the  public footpath is 'over there by the lakes.' Off I went rejoicing ! lol. (hope you enjoyed that little sojourn..lol ) BTW. I then had to take  a different route back to my car and indoing so came across the two wild bee nests. About 10-15 flew from it and around my head- I was only a couple of feet away but stayed there and they didn't do any more than that- probably warning me not o get any closer- unless , of course,someone on here knows differently and I actually had a lucky escape.

I'll write the settings under the photo. I've just read that when photographing flying birds (BIF) it's best to have all the 9 (in the case of the Canon 40D) EF points lit then as it flies one and another will pick it up but I found this out yesterday so I need to go back and try that. Any advice..CC welcome as usual.

285mm 1/320sec. f6.3 ISO 200

Juvenile Mute Swan...400mm  1/1250sec f5.6  ISO 400 (100 metres)

Juv. mute swan..same as above...200metres (?)

Barnacle geese. 50 metres..  210mm 1/5000 sec. f5 ISO 640

130mm  1/4000 sec. f5  ISO 500 (over water, 5 metres away))

400mm 1/8000 sec.  f5.6 ISO 800 (10 metres away )

photographed for the ripple pattern. The 'bee' crash landed onto the water.

Green Woodpecker. 400mm 1/1000 sec. f5.6 ISO 400

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 09:01:23 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:18:50 pm »

Lovely shots John, must remember your adice about focus points and flying birds. I really mucked up a few this evening on the focus front.
I'll try some next time out and see how it goes.
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:03:09 am »

Good tale John  Grin busy bodies... of course from public property you can take pictures of the manor house without permission  Wink 

I only got that about the BiF using all 9 AF points a couple of days ago. Missed that in the manual.. ho hum...

Good set. Really like the swans. Is that woody a real big crop ?
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 05:17:20 am »

Great set of images John. The swans are beuatiful in flight, the dragonfly is an incredible shot, and the bees make my skin crawl. Good job!
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 08:17:54 pm »

Many thanks.

Yes John,(001) woody was a big crop. Infact it's better for you to see it I think. I was at Max. 400mm. It looks better at a distance tbh but it will also show you what a lovely sight it was. Tomorrow I'm going to tape the three left side contacts on the 100-400 lens and that should allow me to use it  still keeping auto with a 1.4 X. The dragonfly just goes  to show what this 100-400 is capable of and what the user  can do - I mean any user, not just me - What seems to happen here at this location is that the Wildfowl  stop flying down the lake  after 1.00pm - busy early morning though, so I got bored and wondered if I could get these reasonably sized dragonflys.. We'll have to see who's first to  get the opportunity try out all 9 AF points, lol. This is the way to make progress, just keep trying things.

Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 12:03:42 am »

That's some serious crop indeed John. Good luck with the next trip out... I think you'll get to try all 9 AF points on a moving target before me.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum