Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 04:05:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

North America/Pelican area

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: North America/Pelican area  (Read 301 times)
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« on: May 29, 2009, 04:05:43 am »

Some of you here, I know, will be familiar with the name of Steve Richards of the Chanctonbury Observatory, who uses various usernames on some of the most popular UK astronomy forums.

Like many other amateurs, I was delighted to hear that he had been writing a book  on successful deep sky imaging, which was published a couple of months or so ago. As my processing skills are sadly lacking, I quickly ordered a copy!

Having missed out on last weekend's clear sky due to a stomach upset, I decided to try a relatively undemanding target on Tuesday night (26th), as I have not imaged anything at all since buying the book.

Anyway, here is my initial attempt at processing.
The image is a combination of 35, 180 secs each light frames - 20 darks and 10 flats, taken with a 70-300mm zoom lens set at about 220mm and fitted with a Kenko 'Ha' filter. My modded 350D was mounted on my AstroTrac as usual. The subs were stacked in DSS and as the whole image appeared red, the result was converted to B&W in PS.

As I get more experienced with digital imaging, hopefully things will improve but I'm quite happy with this initial result - especially as the lens used was a cheap Miranda from ebay!

Tonight cloud stopped play while taking a shot of NGC281 (Pacman) - but I shall have a bash at processing it after a few hours 'shut-eye'.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 04:46:45 pm »

Excellent image Andy, great job!!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 05:02:19 pm »

Andy, you should be proud of that image, stunning detail and form to the nebulosity. I'm very impressed by the detail in the dark nebulosity dividing to the NAN and Pelican...wonderful. Enjoy the book  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum